Chapter 58

Daisy's P.O.V

Numbness.

It was the first feeling that took over my body once I realize who that man was before a storm of emotions came crashing down on me.

Anger. Sadness. Confusion. Desperation. Betrayal.

"I don't know," I whisper to Theo, feeling very grateful that he's here.

I feel so overwhelmed with all this new information and I don't know what to tackle first. The fact that after 15 years I've seen my dad again. The lies that my mother fed me through my whole life. The things she withheld from me while having no right to do so.

"My whole life was a lie," I say as the realization hits me.

"She painted him as this cold-hearted asshole that cared more about his career than me. She made me believe that he didn't love me, didn't want me," I say as tears start spilling out of my eyes again.

Theo's strong hands come around my waist, pulling me on his lap and holding me tightly to him.

"She made it as if he refused to ever help her, made it as if he never called, never visited because he didn't give a shit about us and now he's saying to me how he tried but my mum didn't let him," I say, trying to dry my tears.

"Who am I supposed to believe?" I say as a sob escapes my mouth.

"How do I know if he's telling the truth? How can I trust either of them now? What am I supposed to feel? Am I supposed to hate my mum now for not allowing basically my dad to be my dad? Am I supposed to just forgive him?"

I start spilling out to him all the different thoughts that kept popping in my head, hoping that he'll be able to answer them for me even though I know that isn't possible.

"Hey, hey, take deep breaths with me," he says, making me notice the slight tremble of my hands and shallow breathing.

"I need you to calm down, you can't make decisions in this state," he says, cupping my cheeks, wiping my tears away with his thumbs.

"Okay, okay," I say, trying to calm down a bit by synchronising my breathing to his.

"Good, you're doing good baby. Now let's take things one by one, yeah?" He says, looking at me with such tenderness as he smiles at me. 

"Yeah," I whisper, as he leans in and kisses me.

"First, he said he sent you letters right?" He says, raising an eyebrow.

"Right," I mumble, sniffing.

"For some reason, I doubt your mum would have thrown them away. So-" he starts saying.

"Oh, she most definitely would have thrown them away. Why would she keep them?" I say interrupting him.

"Well maybe she couldn't bring herself to throw them away or maybe she keeps re-reading them or who knows, maybe she was going to give them to you one day, it doesn't matter. What matters is that if we can find them before she comes back that means he didn't lie, at least about that," he says, looking at me, wiping my nose with his sleeve.

"You're right, I need to have some evidence when confronting my mum about this or else she might just deny everything," I say, getting off his lap and tying my hair up in a ponytail.

"I think we should start with her bedroom, that's our best shot, I never really went into her room," I say as I take my jacket off, suddenly feeling very hot.

"Okay, let's start then," he says, grabbing my hand as I lead him to her bedroom.

We start rampaging her whole room. Inspecting every painting, every drawer, under the bed, the bedside tables, under the mattress and pillows, and of course her wardrobe.