48

"Maki? Do you know which one the king is?"

Shikamaru and Maki lay together on a field, watching as the clouds were blown south by the wind. She turned her head to look at him and he stared back, before she returned to laying down with her arms behind her head and eyes closed with a content smile. 

Her Nara friend wasn't really asking her. He was kind of just stating and wanting her to listen. And maybe he even wanted her to know in case she didn't, though he doubted that. In fact, Maki understood this kind of stuff when they were just kids.  She always did.

"It's not the hokage, nor the daimyo. It's the children who carry the future of the leaf on their shoulders. They're the king."

"I see," She smiled. "I guess I know what that makes me then."

"Oh yeah?" He muttered. He knew what she was to him. To him she was the queen, the most important piece that if destroyed, everything would go wrong. She kept them all together, the hidden leaf village, the rookie 9... All of them.

"But I wont tell you," She grinned at him. "Someday I will, but not today!"

He sighed and smiled. "All right, I'll wait for that day then."

They laid in a silence for awhile simply enjoying each others presence before Maki sat up with a smile and asked a question. "Shikamaru, do you have any cousins?"

His eyes fell down into a deadpan and he had to remember that while Maki was sometimes smart, she was also an idiot. "Maki, I have hundreds, I'm part of a clan, idiot."

"Idiot."

"Kurama!"

"How dare you call yourself my host? Please, put me out of my misery."

She huffed with crocodile tears running down her cheeks wondering why these two loved bullying her so much. Instead of thinking about it anymore, the brunette shook her head and grinned down at the boy excitedly. "There's this one Nara boy I met, he's really smart and nice but I think he has a few troubles, yo."

"We smart people tend to have many problems."

"Yeah, I know so-- Hey! What do you mean 'we' smart people?!" His eyes lit up in amusement and she had to hide the fact that, that was her goal the entire time. She didn't necessarily want him to forget Asuma (because that would be cruel and Maki loved all of her family) but to instead forget all the bad memories of him.

"Hmph, whatever meanie." She pouted and he couldn't help but compare her to a child. 

"Anyways, what about my cousins?"

"Do you have one named, Kuma?"

"Kuma...?" Shikamaru felt something at the back of his mind but couldn't quite remember it. "I don't think so."