Chapter 25: The Cabin

"We should be okay here," Adam said, eyeing the goosebumps that covered my arms and suddenly turning me into a human popsicle. He quickly removed his jacket and hung it around my shoulders.

We reached a small cabin perched in the woods that looked like it was holding onto survival by sheer willpower. Its crooked slate roof, unevenly cut wooden walls, and numerous missing window panes hinted at its fragile state. Yet, it stood there, weathered but undefeated.

Inside, everything was shrouded in darkness and decay, with even the floorboards showing signs of rot. The air was heavy with the scent of earth. But the cabin was the only thing that could provide us shelter, and since the rain hadn't let up, it was way better than nothing.

We should be on our feet very soon." But my face fell as I watched the whole sky finally cave in, and more rain continued to pelt down the roof heavily.

Adam squinted at the gloomy scene outside the windows. "With those thunderclouds on the horizon, I wouldn't count on it."

"I can't believe this is actually happening. All I wanted was to enjoy the day... I mean... unlike Penny, I was actually looking forward to this!"

"Well, you did enjoy your time at the waterfalls, didn't you?" Adam tried to be the voice of reason.

"I did. But, I mean, I do still want to explore the park more." I slumped onto a damp couch with a missing leg. "And how did you know about this place?" I asked, eyeing the ceiling.

"My dad and I used to come here every summer." Adam crouched down next to me.

I pulled my knees against my chest. "Did you know the person who used to live here?"

"No. And my dad used to tell me that this place has been abandoned ever since he could remember."

"I'm sure this place had seen better days. But, that's a good plot for a scary story. A cabin in the woods, abandoned ever since anyone could remember." I couldn't resist.

"I don't think somebody had ever really lived here. Maybe they built this cabin for trekkers or tourists."

I gasped dramatically at the thunder that rolled. "This is bad. And I can't believe I left my jacket." I shook my head, still feeling like a talking icicle under Adam's jacket. "What are we going to do now?" I scowled and shivered.

"Everything's going to be okay. We just have to stick it out and wait for the rain to blow over. The worst that can happen is they'll leave without us. And trust me, they won't. Ms. Dartwood won't."

I sighed, my breath visible in the chilly air. Adam's positivity was commendable, but my freezing self wasn't on the same page. Imagining being stuck in this creaky cabin, damp and shivering, didn't exactly make for a cozy daydream.

What if Mrs. Jones and Mrs. Eckhart suggested leaving to save the rest of the seniors from pneumonia, and Ms. Dartwood, outwitted and outnumbered, agreed to go without us? No one would come looking for us, not with this frighteningly awful storm raging outside.

"Rain, rain, go away..." My voice trailed off miserably, the rhythmic patter of raindrops adding a somber soundtrack to my worries.

In the dim glow filtering in from outside, I noticed Adam shot me a long, studied look and then declared, "I'll go look for something to keep us warm."

"Like what? If it hasn't occurred to you yet, this cabin is pretty much abandoned," I pointed out, irritation seeping into my tone along with the cold discomfort.

He blew out a long sigh. "There must be something in here we can use to make fire." He gestured toward the pile of bricks and rubble that vaguely resembled a fireplace. "You're freezing."