goodnight n' go pt. 1

pete: hey ik im probably the last person you want to hear from rn... but i missed my ferry back to staten, i have no where else to go...

My phone screen illuminated bright on my face as my room was pitch dark, wrapped in the comfort of warm blankets due to the colder weather.

I hadn't heard or spoke to Pete in almost a year. Lives got to busy, both heading in different directions, events bound to break a relationship.

My head spun, not quite sure how to answer. The man I once knew as my forever now had become a faint memory in the back of my mind. Could one night change things?

Being honest with myself, I knew I missed him. How could I not. He was cute and always knew how to make me laugh. He was perfect, in every way shape and form.

Deciding to be a decent human, I texted him back knowing if I didn't soon he might end up sleeping in some shitty hotel for the night.

me: hey u can come over... just for tonight.

Making sure to keep the text blunt, I turn off my phone, climb out of my warm bed and exit my room to make sure my apartment wasn't a complete disaster.

I picked up miscellaneous items here and there, not much needing to be cleaned. Nor did he care if things were.

I hear my phone vibrate as it lies face down on the kitchen island.

pete: u have no idea how grateful i am for you rn. omw!

A small smile forms on my lips as I read the text never thinking I would hear him say those words again.

He wasn't far. It was late on a Saturday night meaning he had just gotten done with the latest episode of snl. I had stopped watching the show after the breakup.

The studio wasn't far from my downtown apartment, maybe 7-10 minutes depending on traffic.

Taking my phone in hand, I walk into the living room and flop down on the couch as I anxiously wait for his knock on my door.

I turn on the tv as a distraction. The background noise helped calm me, almost making me fall asleep.

A fist is heard banging at my door. I could recognize his knock anywhere.

Taking a deep breath, I stand up off of the couch and walk slowly towards the door, unhooking the chain lock, my hand nervously turning the door knob.

I peek my head out into the hallway, seeing his tall stature standing in front of me.

He looked good. I couldn't lie. The only thing that had changed was his hair. His now longer and bleached blonde locks peeked out from under the hood over his head. I was a sucker for his blonde hair.

"Hey." I say shy.

"Hi." He says back quietly

"Um here come in..." I say awkwardly as I step aside and open the door wider for him to step into the apartment we once shared.

I observed as he walked in further, a backpack slung over one of his shoulders, wearing a dark blue hoodie and a classic pair of black sweats.

"It's like nothings changed." He says more to himself as his eyes move in all different directions as he admires the apartment.

"Yeah haven't really done much to the place." I say stepping besides him.

"I'm glad." He says simply with a smile as he glances down at me for only a second before placing his backpack down next to the couch.