011┆chapter eleven

CHASING CARS

CHASING CARS

eleven. strained

▬▬ CASSIE AND JACOB walked down the beach in silence, it had only been two weeks since Christmas ― since Cassie had told the boy about her feelings and he reciprocated them. But nothing had gone as planned, admitting that they had feelings for each other seemingly put a strain on their friendship.

Things had gotten awkward, it was like they forgot how to act around each other unless Embry and Quil were around to take some pressure off of the couple. If you could even call them a couple at this point because all the did was talk over the other or just not talk as they sat at the Swan or the Black house or as they walked down the beach.

Things were just . . . off.

Cassie looked over to see Jacob with his eyes on the sand, his hands shoved into his pockets and his feet lightly kicking at the sand below him. She hated the every growing tension that rose between them with each day, because she still had feelings for him, real feelings that she hoped he had for her.

The boy looked up when Cassie stopped walking, her eyes on him as he turned to face her, his eyebrows pinched in confusion.

"What are we doing?"

"We're walking?"

"No, Jake, I meant . . ." She sighed, pulling her beanie down over her ears as a breeze blew over them. "I mean with us. We don't talk anymore and every time we're together it's awkward an-and weird and I miss what we used to have."

"Cassie." He sighed.

"I like you, Jake. I do, but I'd rather go back to being friends then whatever we're doing now."

"I like you, too." He took a step closer to her. "But it's only been a couple of weeks, you gotta give us time to adjust."

"We shouldn't have to adjust!"

He's eyes grew wide, surprised but her outburst and the tears that started to slip out of her eyes and down her cheeks. "So, what? It's just over?"

"I . . ." She trialed off, wiping her cheeks free of her tears. "I think that we should think about it. What it means for us. For our friendship. Because I hate this."