018┆chapter eighteen

CHASING CARS

CHASING CARS

eighteen.       can we talk

▬▬ CASSIE HAD TAKEN a few hours . . . well, most of the day to process the information. After crying on her dad's shoulder and clinging to him, she stared at the paper, her eyes free of tears but her cheeks still wet and her eyes still red and puffy. Charlie had gone to work ― even though he told her he could stay but she insisted he go ― and she had been sitting in her room, in the quiet, her head spinning ever since.

It was slowly driving her crazy.

She ultimately got tired of just sitting there, so she got up, pulled on a pair of grey sweatpants and a cropped black sweater before shoving her feet into her converse. She made her way out of her room, down the stairs, and out the door. Once she got to her truck and heaved the door open before pulling herself into the seat. The truck gave a soft whine as she turned the key, but ultimately it turned over and she hurriedly turned the heat up, letting it warm up before she threw it in gear and backed out of the driveway.

After twenty minutes of heavy breaths, tapping fingers, and lip chewing, Cassie pulled up to Emily's house and after a small pep talk in the mirror on the visor she made her way to the door and knocked. Emily smiled through the glass as she slid the door open, but all Cassie could do was manage a small smile.

"Cassie." The woman greeted, pulling the girl into a hug and over Emily's shoulder she saw Paul, Jared and Embry at the table, the former sitting up straighter at the sight of the girl. She gave Emily a small pat on the back before she pulled away. "Come in." She stepped in and Cassie followed her towards the table.

Paul was quick to stand up. "Cas-"

"Not here for you." She cut him off, an edge to her voice.

"You okay, Cas?" Embry asked from his seat at the table, he knew she had been crying because her eyes were red.

"Sam." She walked around the table to where the oldest of the four boys stood. All three at the table started confused, Jared shrugged and went back to his muffin, and Emily gave the girl a worried look as she rested her hand on the back of Paul's chair. "Can we talk?"