012┆chapter twelve

CHASING CARS

CHASING CARS

twelve.        knock knock

▬▬ HER LAUGH CARRIED through the chilly air, making the smile on Paul's face grow as he watched the girl that sat next to him on a large rock near the shore. It was a laugh so infectious that he, himself, couldn't stop a laugh from falling from his lips. The joke that had her close to tears wasn't even that funny, at least he didn't think a knock knock joke about lettuce was that funny.

But Cassie let out a laugh that echoed over the dark waves and over the beach ― a few people that were there looked at the two as though they were crazy. Just two teenagers sitting on a rock, watching the waves and laughing at a joke none of them knew had been spoken.

Paul was worried that Cassie would get uncomfortable with all the stares. He was used to it by now, what him being rumored to have joined a cult that Sam Uley had started on the reservation. But she seemed unfazed by the dozens of eyes on them as she laughed like a maniac at a joke most would find childish.

"Wow." She took a breath, sobering up a little as she looked over at the boy that sat next to her, his eyes already on her. "I needed that."

"A stupid knock knock joke?"

"A good laugh." She corrected then she took a breath. "Man, I haven't laughed like that in . . . well, since before everything went down."

"Happy to help." He grinned, leaning backwards with his arms stretched behind him to hold him up. "So, Cas, how've you been?"

"I'm okay." She nodded, a smile still on her lips. "Jake and I decided to take some time, I haven't seen him in a week. But Bella told me that he's helping her fix up some motorcycles or something." She shrugged.