Chapter One

Lucy Matthews was 17 years old when her entire life changed; her mother Molly died in a car accident and she found herself in Forks living with her father Charlie Swan, who she had never met. Charlie was shocked when Lucy arrived in Forks as he didn't know she even existed. This made it hard for Charlie to accept her; as a result he struggled to build a relationship with Lucy. Charlie and Sue were busy working and planning their wedding; leaving little time to help Lucy settle in.

Bella had already moved out as she was married to Edward Cullen and they had a daughter Renesmee. Bella did not make an effort to meet her younger half-sister, choosing to ignore her.

Lucy didn't make any friends at her new school as she went almost unnoticed there. She felt truly alone and it only made her miss her mom even more, especially as they had been very close before the accident.

One Saturday morning Bella dropped Renesmee off at Charlie's for a visit but didn't stay herself as she had things to do. After a few hours Charlie was called into the station due to an emergency and Lucy was home so he asked her to keep an eye on Renesmee. Renesmee had met Lucy briefly a few times; Lucy choosing to stay in her room during her visits as to not be in the way, so was surprised at being asked to babysit for a short time. Lucy and Renesmee baked chocolate chips cookies and watched a few Disney films together, before Charlie came home.

That night when Renesmee got home she told her family about the time she spent with Lucy. This prompted Bella to finally decide to meet Lucy; six months after Lucy moved to Forks.

This decision prompted Alice to have a vision;

Lucy in Italy with the Volturi; more specifically with Demetri, Demetri leaves Lucy in their shared room making his way to the throne room for a 'castle tour' then resumes guard duty. They didn't look entirely happy together.

Edward saw the vision as it happened and knew what he had to; for this solved a problem for everyone, Lucy would leave Forks and live in Volterra. He filled his siblings and Bella in on the plan and they agreed. "She'll be someone's else's problem soon. Charlie still isn't warming to the idea of having another daughter around" Bella told them.

Edward asked Bella to befriend Lucy and then bring her over to main house to meet her new in-laws. This way they could inform Lucy about Vampires; the Volturi and her mate.

Bella met with Lucy at Charlie's a few days later "Hello Lucy, I'm Bella" "Hi Bella, nice to finally meet you" "Yeah you too" Bella said. "How are you settling in?" "I'm settling in ok, thanks" Lucy answered.

They spent the afternoon talking to each other attempting to get to know one another. Lucy couldn't help feeling suspicious about Bella being nice to her after ignoring her for six months.

The following Saturday Bella invited Lucy over to the Cullen house and she met Emmett, Rosalie, Jasper, Alice and Edward. Carlisle was at the hospital and Esme taken Renesmee out for the day. Neither Carlisle nor Esme knew of Edward's plan or the other's involvement.

They sat Lucy down and explained that they were vampires but feed off of animals instead of humans; hence their golden eyes. They explained that every vampire had a 'mate' one person they would love and protect and spend an eternity with and that Rose and Emmett were mates; Jasper and Alice, Edward and Bella and lastly Carlisle and Esme. Alice explained that her, Jasper, Edward and Bella had 'gifts' and explained which each one was. Lucy sat there thinking about what she had just learnt.

Emmett went onto explain about the Volturi in Italy; how they were the rulers of the vampire world enforcing the laws, one of which was that humans were not allowed to know of their existence. "Why have you told me then?" Lucy asked confused. "We have told you about vampires because Alice has had a vision and has seen you with your mate; he lives in Italy and is a high ranking Volturi guard" Edward answered. "What does that mean for me, does he have to know?" "Yes Lucy, he has to know. If they came here to check on Renesmee and found out that we knew you were the mate of one of their guards and we didn't tell them; they would kill us and take you to Italy forcibly. Some of the Volturi are gifted also" Edward continued. "What is the guard like that I'm mated to?" She asked. The Cullens and Bella looked at each other before Rosalie answered "He has a reputation for being a Casanova and is not likely to give that up for a mate; especially not for a human mate. The Volturi do not like humans much and so for one their elite to be mated to a human would not go down well. He will likely reject you as his mate as he won't want you because you're human" "If he is to reject me, then why does he need to know about me?" Lucy asked. They looked to Edward silently asking him to answer her.

"As I said before if they found out that we knew you were the mate of one of their guards and we didn't tell them; they would kill us. We can't and won't risk our lives for you" Edward replied bluntly. "You need to know more about your mate" Bella added and Lucy nodded, waiting for someone to continue.

"The Volturi do not usually allow newborns in the castle; however, they will make an exception for you. You'll spend your newborn years in the dungeon and provided your mate remembers you're down there; you'll more than likely be taken to a room in one of the towers where you will spend your eternity once you're no longer a newborn" Edward informed her "Why did you say if he remembered I was in the dungeon?" She asked a little worried "Edward means there are vampires that have been down there for decades if not centuries. They kinda get forgotten about" Alice replied "So if I am to be rejected, why would he keep me in the castle?" Lucy asked feeling confused "Once he meets you the mate bond will kick in and he will feel protective of you and will need to know that you are safe. If a vampire loses their mate they become heartbroken and depressed and he won't want that, the Volturi leaders won't want that either as he is too valuable to them. This will still apply even after his rejection" Jasper answered this time.

"You won't be able to run and hide either as they have the world's best tracker and will send him after you; he will find you and drag you back to Volterra kicking and screaming if he has to. You'll likely get to see the cruel side of your mate if you were to run from him" Emmett added; all of them being careful not to reveal Lucy's mate's name. "You will leave for Volterra in three days. We have already bought you a ticket and to ensure you actually get there I will accompany you" Edward says. "So I don't have a choice in this?" Lucy asked "No you don't" Bella said sharply "Edward I don't think going to Volterra with another human is a good idea. We have letters for her and Aro; I think it's best if she goes alone" Alice says looking at Edward, who nods "Fine, but I'm taking you to the airport regardless. I'll pick you up at 8pm Tuesday" Lucy just nods in response. Lucy made sure to not think about how she felt about this around Edward knowing that he may be able to read her mind.

Later that night Lucy started packing a few things for the trip and couldn't help her thoughts 'I find out I have a soulmate, someone who's supposed to love me forever only to find out that he won't want me; he'll just reject me and lock me away forever. I don't know why I'm so surprised that someone else who is supposed to love me doesn't. Story of my life recently, being unwanted and unloved. I won't object to his rejection, what would be the point? I'm not going to make anyone be with me if they don't want to be. It's bad enough I have had to stay here with Charlie who doesn't want me around.' Tears slipped down her cheeks at the thought of being unloved, unwanted and locked away forever, just to be forgotten about.