Chapter Two

The following morning Charlie opens a letter informing him that Lucy has been accepted into an Art college in Italy and that she is due there in a few days. Alice had put the letter together as a cover story for Lucy to leave Forks. "Morning, Lucy. This came yesterday after I left for work; it's an acceptance letter for an Art college in Italy. They need you there in a few days so you should get packing" Charlie said as Lucy entered the kitchen "Oh ok, I'll do that" Lucy couldn't believe the Cullens' had faked a letter to get her to Italy; clearly they wanted her gone and soon. Charlie didn't even try to talk her into staying in Forks, which made her even more upset to think that her own dad didn't want her around.

A few days later Edward dropped Lucy off at the airport and gets her case from the car "Here this is a letter for Aro; make sure to give it to him when you arrive at the castle. This letter is for you to read on the plane, it's basically tells you what we told you the other night. When you arrive a car will be waiting to take you Volterra. Safe flight" "Thank you Edward" Edward just nods at her as he gets into the car and drives away leaving Lucy at the airport alone.

Lucy sits on the plane reading the letter addressed to her; and it's a repeat of the information she was told a few days ago. She thought about not going to Italy but figured the Cullens' will know if she doesn't arrive or they'll call Aro to check that she arrived so it's probably just easier to go voluntarily rather than be chased down by the Volturi's tracker and incur the wrath of her mate.

The plane lands and Lucy makes her way through to the airport to the waiting car "Miss Matthews?" "Yes, you're taking me to Volterra?" "Yes miss. Get in the car please" The driver says placing her case in the trunk. Lucy is dropped off just outside of the town square "The castle is just up there; you can't miss it as there's a huge fountain in the middle of the square" "Thank you" Lucy said taking her case from the driver.

Lucy made her way to the town square and sat down on the fountain trying to get up the courage to walk into a castle full of vampires; knowing that once she's inside she'll never be allowed to leave. Unknown to Lucy she is being watched by Heidi who has stepped outside of the castle to see if there are many tourists around that she can add to the castle tour that is scheduled for tomorrow. With her enhanced sight Heidi notices that Lucy holding an envelope in her hands whilst looking at the castle and after about an hour Heidi makes her way over to Lucy "Are you ok?" She asks sitting beside her "I think so" Lucy replies sounding unsure. "I'm Heidi by the way, so what brings you to Volterra?" Lucy notices Heidi's eyes are a lilac colour and her skin is pale but looks perfect, just like the Cullens "I'm Lucy. I've been sent here to meet my mate, not that he's going to be happy about it. In fact I've been told that he won't want me and he'll reject me" Lucy says looking down handing Heidi her letter "It's all explained in here"

Heidi takes the letter reading it and it explains that Lucy is mated to one of the elite guards and as soon as she reads 'he has a reputation for being a Casanova' she knows who Lucy's mate is. Heidi frowns as she continues to read the letter as she doesn't like what she is reading as it is depicting Demetri as cruel when in fact he is one of the nicer guards in her opinion and they're good friends. She also knows that Demetri would his love his mate whether she be human or vampire as he has been waiting a long time to meet her and would be hurt if he knew that his mate thought of him this way. "Who gave you this letter?" Heidi asks sounding a little upset "Edward Cullen handed me this letter at the airport for me to read to remind me about what awaits me upon landing here. I also have another letter for Aro" She tells Heidi "How come you showed me this letter?" Heidi asks "You are a vampire and I'm guessing you live in the castle" Lucy replies "How did you..." Lucy cuts Heidi off "You have pale skin like the Cullens and you came from the direction of the castle and you didn't seem surprised when I mentioned the word 'mate' nor when you were reading the letter" "Huh, very true. Would you like me to take you inside to meet Aro?" Heidi asks "I'm not sure if I'm ready to go in just yet" "Ok I'll wait with you until you're ready" "Thank you Heidi. I just want you to know that I won't object to the rejection" Lucy gives Heidi a small smile. "Why not?" "Not being wanted is not a new thing for me" Lucy responds low 'Poor beautiful, broken girl. This is not going to go down well with the masters or Demetri' Heidi thinks to herself.

After an hour of sitting on the fountain making small talk Heidi and Lucy make their way into the castle; Heidi taking Lucy's hand in hers "Do not let go of my hand" "Ok" Lucy nods.

Once inside the castle Heidi heads to Gianna on reception "Hi Gianna, this is Lucy. I need you to take this to Aro for me please" Heidi says handing her a quick note asking to meet with him, Caius and Marcus and minimal guards as she has a delicate matter to discuss. Heidi and Lucy wait in reception for Gianna to return "Heidi, Lucy Aro is ready for you and the guards have been dismissed except for Jane and Alec" Heidi was pleased Demetri wouldn't be in the room during this conversation.

They arrive at throne room "Good afternoon masters" Heidi greets them with a smile "Heidi so good to see you and you have bought a human with you" Aro replies. "There is a very good reason for that. This is Lucy and she has a letter for you from the Cullens" Caius' attention is piqued when he hears the Cullen's name mentioned. "May I see the letter please my dear?" Aro asks "Of course" Lucy responds handing the letter over. Aro reads the letter and Lucy watches Aro's facial expression and he doesn't seem happy. "What's in the letter brother?" Caius asks impatiently; Aro extends his arm holding out the letter for him. "Lucy my dear, when did you learn about us?" Aro asks "A few days ago, I was invited to the Cullens' house and Edward, his siblings and Bella informed me about vampires, the Volturi and mates" "Do you know who your mate is?" Caius interjects "Not exactly. I only know that he is one of the elite guards and that he along with the rest of you don't like humans much. He also has a reputation as a Casanova and likes that lifestyle; therefore, he won't want me as his mate. I've been told that I will be rejected and locked away" "WHAT?!" Caius screams; Heidi and Lucy flinch at his reaction, Heidi grips Lucy's hand in a comforting gesture. Lucy's comment also gains Marcus' attention whilst Jane and Alec look on curiously.

Caius storms down the steps to stand beside Aro "If you know you are to be rejected why did you come here?" Aro asks gently "Edward told me that if you found out that they knew I was the mate of one of your guards and they didn't tell you; you would kill them and bring me here by force and they wouldn't risk their lives for me. They also said that if I were to run and hide you would send the world's the best tracker after me, who would find me; bring me here kicking and screaming if needed and I would incur the wrath of my mate, who can be rather cruel. I just figured it was just easier to come here willingly" She replied quietly looking down. "You mentioned being locked away, what do you mean by this?" Caius asked confusion clearly showing on his face "Edward told me that you do not usually allow newborns in the castle; however, you will make an exception for me and that I'd spend my newborn years in the dungeon and provided my mate remembers I'm down there; he'll come and get me and take me to a room in one of the towers where I'll spend eternity once I'm no longer a newborn"

A look of shock crossed the faces of the leaders and the twins upon hearing this. "I want you know that I don't intend to object to the rejection either" Lucy added. "Why would you accept the rejection child?" Marcus asks curiously joining his brothers at the bottom of the steps "Not being wanted is not a new thing for me. I'm not going to make someone be with me if they don't want to be. I have no intention of messing up his life just because I've sent here by the Cullens" Lucy replied. "How do you know the Cullens?" Caius asked curiously "My mother was killed in a car accident six months ago and I was sent to live with my father; who I had never met before. It turns out Bella and I share a father. I only met Bella for the first time about 10 days ago and I'm not sure why she decided to meet me after all this time as neither her nor our father have made me feel welcome or a part of the family" "I'm sorry to hear that Lucy" Marcus says looking sad. Hearing this makes Jane and Alec feel sorry for Lucy as they know how it feels to be unwanted by those who are meant to care for you.