Chapter 24

01.17.2022

I smiled up at the decree, "Any student found in possession of the magazine The Quibbler will be expelled." I was glad that Harry got his story out there. Being known as a liar was certainly better than being known as a terrorist but even so, it's nice to know that he got the air cleared. I might have 'accidentally' left my copy on my desk while I 'had to run an errand' but I certainly didn't see it moved when I got back.

I, however, did approach the Slytherin table in the Great Hall, coming upon some of the students labeled as death eaters in the article, they eyeing me as I got nearer.

"Do you need something, Professor?" Draco asked looking up at me and I nodded,

"Yes, I'd just like to say that if some of you need extra practice time that my door is always open. I know that Severus will have your head if you don't pass, so don't worry about him finding out," I said causally, as some of their eyes widened. I just swept off after that, my shoulders relaxing some as I did.

I had talked it over with Annabeth, and I knew that, just like us, they didn't choose their parents, but because of them they'd have to fight. Annabeth actually told me to word it like that. It doesn't seem like much from an outsider's point of view, but anyone in their situation could easily read the double meaning. 

There is... another thing we discussed. Obviously, I wasn't going to join this war, but I did have a tendency to pick sides... so we decided that my best bet was to stay neutral to both sides, helping the students and only the students.

"What time?" Draco called out causing me to turn and smile at him,

"My door is always open, and if I'm not in my office, I'll be in the forest," he looked at me for a moment before nodding and sitting back down,

"There's no way I'm letting Potter beat me in Defense, I don't care how many extra hours I'll have to put in," he announced loudly and I smiled and continued my way back to my office, I had taken to sleeping in here out of pure laziness, I wasn't used to having two rooms, it was a pain to lug my stuff back and forth, even if it wasn't heavy, I was always forgetting something and having to run back to get it.

I smiled as I flicked on the light and settled into my makeshift bed with blankets and pillows.

I groaned as I got sucked into Harry's dream- how did I know it was Harry's? Well like last time, Harry's image was overlapping some noseless dudes. I snorted; good old Voldy really was a snake.

"I do not blame you Rookwood," Harry's lips were moving in sync with Voldemort's- almost completely overlapping them. What was it with wizards and their weird names anyways? It was just ridiculous! 'Rookwood'? Alright, so it wasn't the worst I'd ever heard but still.

"Are you sure of your facts, Rookwood?"

"Yes, My Lord, yes... I used to work in the department after – after all..."

"Avery told me Bode would be able to remove it."

"Bode could never have taken it, Master... Bode would have known he could not... Undoubtedly that is why he fought so hard against Malfoy's Imperius Curse..."

"Stand up, Rookwood,"

"You have done well to tell me this. Very well... I have wasted months on fruitless schemes, it seems... but no matter... We begin again, from now. You have Lord Voldemort's gratitude Rookwood..."

The only thing holding my attention was pure confusion and at that my attention broke- who calls themselves 'lord' like even Zeus, the drama queen, doesn't do that.

Voldemort faced a mirror and suddenly Harry was gone from him. Voldemort looked around, seemingly sensing me. I froze, it wasn't impossible, but- hmmm I stepped closer to him, delicately, not making a sound.

"Who's there?" Voldemort asked glancing around and lifting his wand, I approached closer,

"I'm warning you I am not in a playful mood," he called out again and I narrowed my eyes and stood face to face with him. It wasn't often that I got to control my dream but this seemed important, something was off with his eyes.

I peered closer and noticed they looked cracked, like glass. I gasped as I counted the pieces. There weren't seven like Dumbledore had said, there were eight. Harry was the last Horse cut. Suddenly there is a jerk in my gut and I speed out of the dream. Opening my eyes I looked into Ron's,

"Harrys had a dream," he said moving so I could get up. I nodded groaning as I pressed my hand to my head. Letting my eyes drift closed, I guess he tried to read my mind, and man it hurt like a pegasus kick to the head.

"What's happened again?" I asked looking over to Harry and he hesitated for only a moment before launching into his tale of what happened in his dream, from the point of view of Voldemort. I zoned out, already knowing the story and trying to figure out why Dumbledore wouldn't tell me.

"I think is has something to do with Dumbledore's weapon," Harry summed up drawing my attention, I frowned, I hadn't heard of any weapon. Though I just sighed and nodded,

"Harry, you're getting great information, but it's at a cost, the more you look into Voldemort's mind the more aware he becomes of your presence," I said

"I don't care!" Harry said sharply, "I don't care Voldemort can torture me for all I care. At least it's something! I can help!" I looked up at him and tilted my head slightly, I pressed a cool hand to his forehead. His shoulders relaxed and closing my eyes I pushed through Harry's mind, forcing the last of Voldyworts influence out.

"Look Harry, it's just not risking yourself, what if you're in a phoenix meeting and he slips in?" I asked causing Harry to pause,

"Well- I- erm-," he stuttered, and I gave him a small smile,

"If you don't do it for yourself, do it for the cause," I said, before grimacing, "Besides no one likes someone jammering around in their head,"

"But Sir! I know you want me to learn it, but Snape- He- why can't you teach me instead?" Harry pushed and I flinched,

"I know that you and Severus have a... complex hate relationship, but I simply can't give you what he can," Harry looked like he wanted to fight, but eventually let it settle and mumbled a goodbye before pulling the door open,

"Oh! Harry!" I called causing him to turn around, "Good job at getting this far, I can tell that you've gotten stronger, keep in mind that mastery doesn't come with a splash of water,"

He paused before nodding and walking back out. I sighed and looked down at my hands,

"Thank you," a voice said and I looked back up to Ron, I had managed to forget he was there, "You are the only adult we can trust, even Fred and Goerge say so. It's harder for Harry, he wants to trust Dumbledore and Sirus, but I don't think he can after all the hiding and lies,"

"I grew up slightly different, information was often taken away from me, and then word vomited all over me," I laughed humorously, shaking my head. Ron balked at the word 'vomit' but just shook his head, and bid me goodbye too. 

Until Wednesday!

🦇