[13] Male vs Female's perspectives

Do you prefer to write from a female or male’s perspective? 

Leigh 19: Male's P.O.V

I don't really have a preference to which gender of perspective that I write from. Obviously writing from a female's P.O.V is easier because I am female, I understand it better.

What I love about writing from a male's P.O.V is the challenge. My story Saying Goodbye was written from Ali's P.O.V which I enjoyed very much. Now writing Saying Goodbye 2 from Riley's P.O.V is equally enjoyable if not a bit more. It's more challenging but at the end of the day I feel more rewarded from the work I put into it. Also writing from a male's P.O.V it gives me a reason to get insight from a male which is very valuable to actually understand how they perceive things.

I'll write how I think a male's P.O.V would be then have a friend look over it and see how close or far from their perspective I am. So in the end I'm always going to choose a challenge over something that's a bit easier and I find if you do write something from a male's P.O.V and it's realistic and believable enough that readers can't tell the difference then you've done it properly.

The best part is how much fun I have and since I find myself having more fun writing from a male's P.O.V than that would have to be my preference.

Emmiie: Male’s perspective

It varies, but honestly (even though my stories on Wattpad would beg to differ—as majority rules), I prefer to write from a male’s perspective. I know this sounds weird, with my being a girl and all. I mean, clearly I can relate to a female’s perspective much easier, but there’s something in a male’s perspective that I just find…refreshing.

I’ve written a few uncompleted stories (off Wattpad) from a male’s point of view. And I plan to write some more on Wattpad once my current stories progress. I’m not sure why I prefer to write from a male’s perspective exactly, I mean, obviously being a female—writing from a female’s perspective is easier. But I guess I like the challenge. I like trying to enter the male mind, fall into their way of thinking and see how close to the mark I can get.

Some stories I’ve written from a male’s perspective is Noah’s point of view (from The Not So Secret Life of Helena Callahan), Darien’s (very explicit, but there is a few chapters currently written somewhere), and also this other project following Welcome to the Universe—but I’m not going to speak of that until after Welcome to the Galaxy has been written because frankly, it would spoil far too much.

Of course, being a female and writing from a male’s point of view can be tough. You have to make sure you don’t make the male get too sensitive, because unless he’s just a sappy kind of guy, men are supposed to be manly. They do think differently from females. And act/react differently than females. Well, in most cases anyway.

And that’s one thing I love about writing. You can be anyone, do anything, and create your very own world, where you control what happens.

Vicky_nfs: Not really sure

If I’m being honest, I haven’t written much from a male’s perspective yet - mostly because so far, I never really had to for any of my stories, so this question is a bit difficult to answer.

There is this one story I am working on, one that will include quite a bit of parts written from a guy’s point of view, but I only have two chapters of it so far. Nonetheless, I quite like to write from his perspective, but, I’m always afraid that I’m messing it all up. I don’t want any of my characters to look ‘fake’, so I’m really over-thinking every single line I write.

Sometimes I find it helpful though, to write from one of my other character’s point of view, especially when something’s going on but the main character doesn’t know about it. In my opinion, it helps to keep the facts straight and not to miss anything. But, I don’t really pay much attention to whether I’m portraying that character correctly or not according to his/her gender. When I write like that, it is pure for my eyes only because it helps me to write the story.

In short, like I stated earlier, I haven’t really much experience with writing from a male’s perspective, nonetheless, I like it, but I’m terrified that I’m doing a horrible job at it...