Entrance exam

Five years ago

"Why did you call me out here for?" The dragon stands tall in the small observation room. There's a two-way mirror separating the room from the medical wing. They can see into it, but the other side can't.

The general looks onto the scene before him with an unnervingly blank gaze. Unperturbed by the convulsing test subject that was currently fighting against the restraints binding him to the medical bed. His wrists are scraped raw, as he struggled against their hold. Trying his hardest to break free from the pain and suffering he was being subjected to. Multiple wires and tubes protrude from different parts of his body, practically engulfing the nine-year-olds tiny form, making him look even younger than he already was.

It's been two years since the start of project Aries. Two years of intense training and experimenting. Two years of pure hell for the boy lying in that small medical bed.

"Sir, you need to see this." The doctor, the mastermind of the experiment's process, states earnestly. An ominous excitement drips from his tone. The man rummages through a drawer of files, finally pulling one out with the label 'A-1' on it. Handing over the folder, he shuffles anxiously from foot to foot. Waiting for the general's input.

After a few minutes of silence, the man gets impatient, promptly going into a rambling fit.

"If you look at the test results, that kid has higher intelligence than most fully grown men. His intellect, in itself, surpasses anything we could have ever imagined. It's like he sees the world differently. It's like he doesn't perceive everyday things just like you nor I do. In fact, where we just process the image of an object, he processes everything, down to the tiniest detail of its composition. It's as if his brain is more open to stimuli from his surrounding environment." At the general's questioning glance, he elaborates. "You see, other people's brains shut out that kind of excess information in order to preserve their sanity. However, this kid... He can decipher and process anything within his mind. It's as if his brain is adjusted to these instinctual analyses sequences." He informs excitedly. "Now, I'm not sure if it's the product of the quirk his body forcefully manifested or if it's purely natural. But, no matter how you look at this. It changes everything."

The general contemplates the words coming from the man in front of him. His mind going back to the kid's prowess in training. Ranging from field aptitude to pure strategic proficiency. He knew the kid was smart, however, it seems that his perception was an understatement.

The boy was a genius.

"I see..." He says slowly, his mind going through the countless possibilities that have opened up. Not to mention the range of the kid's quirk, now that they knew its true extent. "Go ahead and start phase 3 then. It's time."

_________________________________

Waking up was a slow process. His eyes flutter open, welcoming the soft hues of light filtering through his window. His eyelids blinking successively until they get accustomed to the brightness.

Having gotten used to sleeping on hard surfaces for the most part of his life, he found it rather difficult to fall asleep on his new bed.

The mattress was too soft and the sheets too smooth on his calloused skin. It unnerved him to the point where he decided to sleep on the carpeted floor. The familiarity of the situation helps calm his mind enough for him to eventually fall asleep.

He figures he'll have to get used to this new way of life eventually. Especially given the length of his mission.

Today was Yuei's entrance exam. Depending on the information he managed to gather, both online and from different military resources, it should be easy to get through. The only unpredictable factor was the practical part of the exam. Which will depend on the teachers and their collective decisions and judgment.