Chapter 8: "Priority: Alnus Town"

--DS-20B landing pads, Fort Alnus--

It's early morning when they land at For Alnus. There is a medical team waiting to provide immediate help to those who need it before transferring them to the newly built hospital in the fort. Stepping off the DS-20B, Ava heads straight for the HQ building for a debriefing of the mission. She is not in a good mood right now to talk to any of her soldier, which makes them worry.

"That could've been us, the GIA F-ed up again. The commander is right to be angry" Jimmy comes up to Ashley from the direction of the DS-20Bs that were carrying the civilians.

"She's also worrying for her mom. I bet there's a lot on her mind right now" Ashley shakes her head in sorrow and continues "Knowing her, she would want some time alone so we'll give her that. Let help these people and head back to the barrack, we'll hear more when she comes back from the debrief".

While the 5th SIF is away on the mission, Chris has been assigned to be the platoon's logistic officer. This means that his task now is to provide or obtain everything the platoon needs to complete their missions. He prefers to be out on the field with the team but also understands that his task is extremely important to the unit which decides the success or failure, even the survival of the platoon.

"Commander..." Chris run up to Ava salutes and wants to inform her of his new task himself but dropped mid-sentence by Ava's quick salute and cold attitude.

René and the commander of 2nd SIF are already in the briefing room waiting when Ava walks in. She walks to the seat next to them and nods as a greeting. René taps his hand on Ava's shoulder knowing she's more upset than he is given her past missions.

Not long after, General Nguyen enters the room and behind him is Rory which confuses everyone. The commanders stand at attention.

"At ease commanders, I'm sure that you are aware of what happened to the 22nd SIF and you are probably wondering why didn't our drone see the ambush" General Nguyen invite Rory to come forward "Miss Rory here has a theory".

"They're using the skin of the wild boars, which is very common and can be bread easily on this land. Their skin allows them to hide from predators with special vision like the wyverns and the Flame Dragon that you killed, apparently, it also hides the Imperials from your..." Rory looks over to the General and continues the sentence "...Ca-me-ra?".

General Nguyen nods and then turns to the commanders "How they knew we can see them and that we were coming we do not know. However, we believe that they must have mistaken our planes with the dragons and wyverns. The reason that they only set a trap at the Delta compound is that it is the closest compound to our position and they did not expect us to be able to hit all compounds at once. It also shows that they suspect that we have their people and we proved them right".

After the debrief, General Nguyen order the 3 platoons to take the day off and wait for their next mission. Ava is about to leave the room but was called back by the General.

"Commander, Miss Rory..." General Nguyen says but is interrupted by Rory.

"Just Rory is ok General" Rory says

"Rory, Lelei and Tuka requested that we allow them to harvest the scales of the dead wyverns that we piled up waiting for disposal. Clearly the scales are worth a lot to them but we have no use for, since your unit brought them back it is reasonable that you help them with this task" General Nguyen says.

"Gladly General, who's Tuka though?" Ava confuses.

"That blond elven girl that you rescued from a well according to your report. Her name is Tuka Luna Mareau" General Nguyen says "She's also 165 years old".