Chapter 25: "Priority: Coup d'etat"

--Sadera--

Pina just finished her morning routine and is leaving her room to head down to the royal dining room for her breakfast. Today is a big day for her and the Empire, it is her last chance to try and convince the Senate to support surrendering and the emperor will announce his decision by the end of the day. Although, Molt has assured her that no matter which side the weight of the support fall, he is going to agree to surrender for the future of the Empire. She knows very well that if her father makes the decision without the majority of the senate supporting him, they will have to comply according to the law but they could work to undermine him and potentially overthrow him.

As Pina is leaving her room, the 2 guards outside come to attention to greet her. She nods to them a walk down the large hallway, as she walks there's a voice behind her.

"Enter the next room on your right, we need to talk" Viktor says as he walks behind her, cloaking.

"Agent Viktor?" Pina is surprised.

"Quiet and keep walking" Viktor say.

Pina enters the room and then closes the door behind her "Agent Viktor?" she asks again.

He decloaks in front of her and points at a chair "sit down" there's a little bit angry in his voice.

As Pina sit down still confusing about Viktor's attitude and wondering what is this about, he locks the door and throw a holographic device to the floor. A holographic screen appears displaying Zoral with a darkling queen beside him marching down the main avenue with his goons and thousands of legionnaires behind him. More notably is the few UNE hostages that Viktor is still not able to secure due to them being in the procession of the pro-war faction senators. Leading the hostages is admiral Ruby Bennett, she looks badly beaten up and it seems like she was being tortured a lot. Analysis from the drone indicates that her torture happened not long ago.

"I suppose you know nothing about this?" Viktor asks as he leans against the wall next to the door.

Pina feels a bit of a panic attack, she manages to stand up and approach the screen trying to keep herself from losing it "I...what...I don't...they're heading for the palace" she says.

"You assured me that Tiberius is only keeping Admiral Ruby as an insurance, that she'll be treated kindly and she'll be returned to us once the treaty is signed" Viktor says calmly and slowly, he walks slowly to Pina and speaks in threatening manner "does she looks like she was treated KINDLY to you?" as the video feeds zoom in at Ruby's face.

"I...I, I, I don't know. I swear I know nothing of this but I swear I'll find out. We'll go to my father now and make sense of all this!" Pina says.

"It's too late for that, Pina. Your brother just started a coup. I've already notified Alnus Command of the situation and forces are on the way. We're taking Sadera" Viktor replies.

"No, no, no I've been working so hard to make peace. How could this be? This can't be!" Pina collapses in tears.

Viktor pulls her up "It's not your fault, Pina. For now, you need to get yourself together and gather the rest of your knights who are still in the city and head straight for the gate and go to Alnus Hill. Do not stop for anyone, do you understand?".

"NO, maybe there's still time, maybe I can convince my brother to stand down. If your soldiers come here a lot of people are going to die, please tell them to turn back" Pina begs Viktor with a little hope that this situation could be changed.

Viktor shakes Pina to snap her out of it and continues "Even if want to, I don't have the authority to turn them back. And do you think your brother is gonna listen to you? He's gonna kill you too if that means he gets the throne. Once he's on the throne he's not going to stop sending everything at us and how do you think that will end? You've been to the UNE, you know what we're capable of and we have to defend ourselves, that means a lot more of your people are going to die if we don't take the city now. Listen to me, there's still time to save your knights, get them out of here I'll go to your father".