{5} That Doesn't Look Good

I made this chapter and it's longer than I thought so this chapter will be separated into two chapters (with a different title).

There will be no Author Notes in this chapter.

Comments and votes are very appreciated. Enjoy!

~~

The next day, Library Pavilion,
Chen shi

"Lan Zhan, what do you think about this diagram. This 'repel' character if we add a few strokes supposed to be working? Or should we combine the character from 'spirit' and 'call'?"

Silver and gold eyes are sitting on a low table, discussing theory on talisman studies while surrounded by stacks and stacks of scrolls and scripts.

"Mn. Can work. Must determine where to put extra strokes."

"What if we put strokes here, here, here-" 3 short strokes added on top of the repelling talisman, "-and here." A long stroke of the brush on the bottom of the talisman paper.

"Mn. It could work. Need some handicap" Lan Wangji hummed in agreement.

"Consider it done, Lan Zhan. We can use fabric to write on and-"

"And?"

"What medium could we use for? The one that is simple, affordable, yet effective and easy to use..."

I mean I can easily use blood but I don't think it is appropriate and I don't want Lan Zhan to have a bad view of me. The first impression is important, you know!

(No. This isn't the first time he visits Lan Wangji in his new life)

"....-abar"

"Ah- What was it, Lan Zhan?"

"Cinnabar"

"It could work, but won't be effective. What if it's a mix of blood and cinnabar?"

"Dangerous. Will lost blood."

"Not much, Lan Zhan. Let's say, only a drop or two from a strong cultivator or two or more of weaker cultivator"

"..." Lan Wangji silently considered this option. It is indeed more effective, but he is unsure.

Luckily, he is saved by his XiongZhang*. The door to the Library Pavilion slides open as a person walks in. Authentic white Gusu Lan inner disciple flowing as the person strides in. Zewu-Jun, Lan Xichen, Lan Wangji's older brother slightly bow to greet both Yunmeng Jiang Head Disciple and Gusu Lan Head Disciplinary.

"Wangji, Wei-Gongzi"

"Zewu-Jun" "XiongZhang"

"Zewu-Jun, what problem there is that our presence is needed?"

"People from Caiyi Town has suffered from water ghouls recently and they had called and asked Gusu Lan to help with their current predicament"

"But Zewu-Jun, aren't people of Caiyi Town good at swimming?"

"Indeed, Wei-Gongzi. This is suspicious however, we shall see the whole picture before deciding what to do with the situation."

Wei Wuxian lets out a hum in agreement.

"Well if it is a problem with water, maybe Yunmeng Jiang can help on this task, Zewu-Jun. Yunmeng Jiang sect is specialized in water ghoul after all."

"No need. It is against the rule-" Lan Wangji refused the offer yet Lan Xichen agrees to Wei Wuxian's offer, "Your help will be very much appreciated, Wei-Gongzi"

"XiongZh-" Softly, Lan Wangji tries to call his brother, but Lan Xichen keeps ongoing,
"Other chosen disciples will be waiting at Gusu Lan entrance gate-"

"XiongZha-"
"Please inform Jiang-Gongzi as well the other Jiang disciple to change to their usual robes and join this NightHunt**-"

"It is forbidden to-"
"And probably some of other chosen visiting disciples will be in Caiyi Town already."

A respectful bow is given by Wei Wuxian, directed to Lan Xichen

"If so then, Zewu-Jun, this Wei Wuxian would be glad to be able to join the night hunt." The Jiang Head Disciple head to the Library Pavillion's door to exit the library before he turns around to face Lan Wangji.

"Lan Zhan, don't forget the talisman. I would like to test it out for the night hunt later" Wei Wuxian reminded Lan Wangji cheerfully and left the Library Pavilion.

Lan Xichen is musing to himself with a smile on his face.

I heard Wei-Gongzi is a genius in spells and talismans. It seems this particular rumour is true.

.....

"XiongZhang, why do you let him come to the night hunt?"

Lan Xichen smiles at Didi's unmoveable (read: Flustered) face. Lan Xichen smiles at his (cute) Didi.

"Well, Wangji... I thought you wanted Wei-Gongzi to join us?"

"...Mei you***"

Lan Wangji goes away from the Library Pavillion where he and his XiongZhang we're standing. Lan Xichen can't handle this type of Lan Wangji.

Wangji-Didi, go pursue the love of your life. This gege of yours will always sport your relationship no matter who it is.

~~
Caiyi Town,

"Tianzi Xiao, Tianzi Xiao! Purchase the infamous wine here for a special price!"

"Fresh watermelon, fresh watermelon! Perfect to quench your thirst in this sunny afternoon!"

Caiyi town is a bustling town. It is full of activities. Children are playing. The water canal is busy and full of boats, full of products to be sold. From vegetables, fruit, loquats, Tianzi Xiao to dessert, these boats sell them, moving on the canal attracting those who aren't from around Caiyi town or the area around Gusu.

A group consisting of Jiangs and Lans riding boats can be seen by the town folks who are passing beside the water canal and passing to the other side of the bridge above. There are 20 disciples, with Jiang Heir, Jiang Head Disciple, Lan First Heir and Lan Second Heir riding their boats. The rest of the disciples are riding a boat in pairs.

These youngsters are currently looking for unusual signs of water ghoul or any other phenomenon.

Jiang Wanyin, who had been dragged into this (he would love to volunteer too), can't help but be confused.

"So far, this town is peaceful. Is there any water ghouls around here? Aren't Caiyi people are great swimmers-"

Just after he finished the sentence, a water ghoul jumps to Jiang Wanyin's boat. He immediately unsheathed his sword, Sandu and stab it at the ghoul, killing it swiftly and quickly.

The town folks who are near the water and saw the water ghoul can't help but be frightened and scream "WATER GHOULS!"

This had made the town folks run away as far as possible from the water canal

The second the town folks had run, more water ghouls are coming near to some of the group's boats. Disciples who are near unsheathed their swords and kill the ghouls

"Be careful of water ghouls and stay alert," is the command from Lan Xichen, the leader and supervisor for this night hunt, along with Lan Wangji.

"Yes, Lan-Gongzi"
The disciples are now on high alert and their hands are on their sword handle.

~~

Next,

Chapter 6: So You Can Do Time-Travelling Too?

~~

*XiongZhang: a formal way to say older brother

**NightHunt: A cultivators hunt for resentful creatures. (I know. The name contains 'night' but it's not necessarily night)

***Meiyou: same like Bu shi, means no