Chapter 17

Eros's Pov:

  I look on in total shock at the scene before me. She had been asleep for almost five years. I was sure she'd never wake up. When Apex said she'd had more brain activity lately I hadn't believed him. When he said she squeezed his hand a half hour ago I hadn't believed him. Now I can't believe what I'm seeing.

  She's sat up in her bed answering the nurse's questions. She seems exhausted but, she's awake. Apex sits at her side in complete awe of her. He looks the happiest I've ever seen him.

  "I'm here", says Dr. H slamming into the room. Aurora trails in behind her looking as lost as anything.

  "I can't believe it", the doctor says when her eyes land on the confused Diana.

  "You're awake", she says, "it's a miracle".

  "I'm sorry, who are you?", asks Diana.

  "I'm Hope", she says, "your doctor".

  "Okay, and why do I need a doctor?", she asks.

  "You've been asleep for a very long time", Dr. H says.

  "I missed you so much", Apex says interrupting. I can't blame him for his outburst. In fact, I'm amazed he went this long without saying anything.

  "I've changed I promise", he says, "I promise I'll do anything to prove it to you".

  Her face skews up in question, "who are you?". I watch his face fall.

  "What do you mean?", he asks, "it's me Apex". She furrows her brow and stares at him still as confused as ever.

  "Why are all of you American?", she asks, "where's my mom?".

  The doctor turns to Apex, "maybe it'd be best if you stepped out for a moment while I run some tests".

  "I am never leaving her side again", he says and holds her hand tighter.

  "Alright", she sighs knowing there's no way of getting him away from her.

  "Can you tell me your name?", she asks.

  "Dianamph Cimorelli", she answers.

  "How are you feeling?".

  "Like I got hit by a truck", she says.

  "Do you you know what happened?".

  "Not really".

  "Diana, can you tell me how old you are?", she asks. We all watch as Diana seems to think over the question.

  "I'm thirteen", she says, "can someone please tell me she Yanis is?".

  Dr. H lifts her hand and holds up her fingers, "can you tell me how many fingers I have?".

  "Ten I hope", she says rolling her eyes.

  "Diana we're all very worried please answer the question seriously".

  Diana huffs dramatically, "fine, three". Dr. H nods and notes something down on her clipboard.

  "What are you writing?", Apex asks.

  "It's just some notes we'll discuss later", she says.

  "Now, Diana hold your head still while you follow my finger", the doctor holds up a single finger and starts to move it in all directions. Diana does as she says and Dr. H notes it down.

  "Can you count back from ten?". She does.

  "Does your head hurt?". It does.

  "Do you recognize anyone in the room with you?". She doesn't.

  Dr. H sighs, "well we'll have to do some tests and scans but, I think it's fair to assume you have amnesia". Apex looks absolutely crushed, meanwhile, Diana seems entirely unperturbed by her diagnosis.

  "I'm going to go order some tests", Dr. H says, "for now, try to get some rest and don't stress yourself".

  "Sure thing but, where's Yanis?", she asks.

  Dr. H frowns, "you should ask your visitors". With that, she turns and leaves the room. Diana looks to Apex and immediately removes her hand from his.

  "I don't know you", she accuses.

  "I'm uh-", he stumbles, "I'm your boyfriend".

  She wrinkles up her nose, "you look fifty".

  "I'm twenty-six", he says.

  "Ew, you're old", she says.

  "You're twenty-four", he says.

  "I'm thirteen", she says it with so much preteen snarkiness I almost believe her.

  She takes a long look at him and sighs, "at least you're kind of handsome". He smiles a little at this and goes to grab her hand.

  "Stop touching me", she says, "it feels weird". He deflates once again as she wipes the feel of his touch away on her blanket.

  "Yeah, no problem", he says. 

  "How long was I asleep?", she asks.

  "Almost five years", he says.

  "Bloody hell", she says. She looks down at her lap.

  "Why am I still so tired?", she yawns. My brother only shrugs.

  "Can you call my sister?", she asks laying back down.

  "Yeah", he says, "no problem".

  I go over to where Aurora stands awkwardly in the corner and guide her out. My grandmother sits out in the hallway already and her face lights up with joy at the sight of us.

  "Are they going to be okay?", she asks.

  "I don't know".

  I grab my grandmother's chair and started wheeling her towards the elevator. We go through the lobby and out to my car in total silence. Aurora helps me transfer her into the backseat and buckles her in. I close the door and go around to my side. Aurora slides into the passenger seat and I remind her to buckle in.

  I take her hand and she looks me in the eyes, "I love you". She nods her head and I turn my key in the ignition.

 She nods her head and I turn my key in the ignition