Chapter 19

Eros's Pov:

  "Are you sure you called pack?", I ask pacing the room.

  "Yes, I'm sure", he says, "they'll be arriving soon and they're bringing another of our allies with them".

  "What's taking them so long?".

  "They're three states away and have a human with them", he says, "how can't are you expecting them to get here?".

  "Why are we having a war meeting in your mate's hospital room?", I sigh exasperated.

  He glares at me, "she woke up three days ago, I am never leaving her side again".

  "Isn't anyone else here wondering about how Breuer knows so much about our doctor?", Aurora asks. She's mostly been sitting quietly since the confrontation yesterday morning. I don't blame her. I wouldn't feel okay after what that freak said if it was about my parents either.

  "We need to be concerned about the possibility of a war right now we don't have time to be chasing potential red herrings", I tell her.

  A knock sounds at the door and I go to answer it. Immediately a girl only a little older than I rushes past me and goes to sit at the sleeping Diana's bedside.

  Two men remain standing outside. Their faces are serious as stone. They stand in perfect contrast to my anxious state. Though one seems a bit off.

  "Please, come in", I beckon then inside. They do just that and stand awkwardly near the windows.

  "This is an interesting choice of venue", the older one says. I shoot a glare at Apex.

  "So what is all this talk of war?", the younger asks. I open my mouth to answer but, Apex beats me to it.

  "Someone has made an attempt on the life of my on the life of my mate", he says gesturing to Diana, "threatened my brother's and one of our pack's doctors".

  "Okay and that means what to us exactly?", the younger one asks. He's looking around the room distracted and uninterested in the matter at hand.

  "Due to his failures, he has promised war against ours a seemingly other packs, namely that of the doctor's origin", I say.

  "Is the doctor from one of our packs?", ask the older man.

  "We are unsure of her place of origin", I say. The younger one glares at me.

  "You had us come all the way here and you didn't even ask if she was from one of our packs", he growls.

  "Will, both of our packs have pledged alliance to theirs we need to hear them out", the older one says.

  "Fine", Will says, "if the doctor is here, please call them in". Apex pushes the call light.

  "Did you at least get the bastard's name?", asks the older one.

  "Yes", I say, "he said his name is Breuer and he has taken a special interest in my mate particularly". The older man follows my gesturing to my mate.

  "You look very familiar", he says.

  "Yeah, I've been hearing that a lot as of late", she says.

  A light knock sounds at the door before it opens. Dr. H steps in with her pleasant professional demeanor. The second her eyes land on Will it's like someone has poured a bucket of ice over her head.

  "Mate", they both whisper. Will's previous agitation, as well as the whole purpose of this meeting, is forgotten immediately. The world seems to slow down. Will takes a step towards her and she turns and runs. The older alpha grabs him before he can go after her. Apex runs after the doctor. The two alphas come to blows. I go to shield the three women from the violence. Diana wakes up from all the commotion and screams at the scene. The meeting has thoroughly devolved into chaos.

  "Let me go, Grimm!", the young Alpha shouts.

  "You'll scare her off!", he shouts back, "Apex is fetching her".

  "She's mine", he screams, "that's my mate!".

  "Give her space!", they rain down blows on one another in quick succession.

  Apex comes back into the room carrying the doctor who has taken to screaming and crying. This is not the well-put-together woman I've come to expect in the last five years.  Apex sets her down and blocks the door with his massive frame. She beats at his chest begging him to move.

  "We need you to answer some questions and then you can go", he tells her.

  "Like hell, she will", shouts Will who is still wrestling with Grimm.

  "She is my pack member I have jurisdiction", Apex says calmly.

  "She's my Luna I overrule you", he screams.

  "She is not a subject she's your equal", shouts Grimm, who's finally managed to pin him down.

  "An you two don't seem to be not fully mated so she is not legally recognized as your Luna", Apex says. Dr. H sinks to the ground in a mess of tears and starts to rock herself back and forth.

  "What's going on?", asks Diana.