4: Reed

I was talking to Alpha Roniston when a pitch-black wolf made its way through the front door of their pack house and outside to where we stood. The tension that vibrated between the pack members and this wolf could've electrocuted a slab of steak and cooked it perfectly. Her coat was beautiful, her eyes golden-amber, her stance proud and unwavering. Mate!

I blinked and she turned her head towards me, widening her eyes as the revelation hit her too. She took me in, assessing me like I had just done, then in one swift move, spun and took off back inside the house. I didn't miss the fear in her eyes or the panic in her footsteps. Something was wrong, and I didn't think it was me exactly.

"Who was that?" I ask the alpha.

His jaw was clenched, and his eyes were still fixed on the house where the she-wolf had disappeared into. "Someone who has learned her lesson, I think," he murmured.

"Lesson? In what?" I ask.

He shakes his head and smiles like nothing had happened. Gesturing to the girls standing before us, he said, "These young ladies are unmated and willing to be yours."

I cross my arms and pretend to assess the girls one by one then saying, "Not interested." I turn back to the alpha. "Who was the wolf?"

He hesitated for a moment before saying, "An outcast. An Omega. Someone you shouldn't concern yourself with."

I stare at him for a moment and glance to the house. Nodding, I clear my throat. "Do you have a bathroom?"

"Second floor, first door on your left," he explained, and I nodded. I run inside and quickly follow my mate's scent where it leads all the way to the fourth floor in the very last bedroom as if it was meant to be secluded up here.

I knock and hear a muffled sniffle before a shaky voice says, "Go away!" I knock again and she throws something at the door. "I don't need anything, you assholes! I didn't stomp! I wasn't even there for that long!" Her sobs break and in a weaker voice she hisses, "Just leave me alone."

I bite my lip in indecision. I finally, after about thirty seconds, knock again, not backing down.

My mouth curves up at the sound of her angry stomping footsteps as she storms to the door and wrenches it open. "What in the hell do you not underst—"

I raise a brow when she sees who it is and doesn't finish her sentence. Her eyes fill with fear again and I am shocked because I thought that was a fluke or something. "Hey! I'm not going to hurt you!" I try to whisper soothingly to her.

This worsens her fear. "G-go away!" she hisses.

"What?" I sputter.

Stepping back and shaking her head, she starts closing the door. "Please, just leave me alone."

I stop the door with my hand and narrow my eyes at her. "Do you know who I am?" She shakes her head slowly, fearfully. "Then why are you afraid of me?"

Her eyes roam my body once more, taking in my figure before meeting my eyes again. "Is it that hard to guess?" she says with a weird expression.

I look down at myself and shrug. "Yes, actually. It is hard to guess. Please, enlighten me."

I smirk when she crosses her arms and repositions herself into an offensive stance. "First of all, you're a giant! Second, you look like you could snap a spine with just two fingers. You are an Alpha, which isn't hard to tell considering your arrogance is off the charts. Would you like me to go on?"

"Actually, why don't you tell me about yourself, beautiful."

She flinches – flinches – at my request. "I can't...please leave before something bad happens to one of us."