8: Reed

Leaving a pair of basketball shorts and a large t-shirt outside the bathroom for Simone, I go down and open the front door when I hear a knock. Corey stands there with raised eyebrows. "What's going on?"

"How did you get Jena to be comfortable with you?"

He shrugged and stepped inside, sitting on a couch. "I didn't. She was perfectly fine. Why? What's wrong?"

I shake my head and sit, picturing Simone's wide eyes and shaking body. It pained me so much to see her like that. "I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, Corey. She's not reacting well to being here like I first thought she would."

"What do you mean?"

"She's afraid. She backed herself against a wall shaking until I finally got her to go shower. She's just not acting like I thought she would."

"Well, she was the outcast in her old pack. She's probably expecting the same treatment here." He picks at his nails and makes a weird face. "Didn't you say she ran from you when you first met?"

"Yes, but I thought it was only the Alpha's presence making her scared. He was giving her a glare that seemed cruel."

"She did say her mother and he had told her stories. Maybe try to prove them wrong."

"How?" I growl. "I'm being as nice as I can."

He glances up and raises a brow. "I don't know but might as well start."

I spin around and see Simone walking down the stairs, her eyes peering at anything and everything. When she got to the bottom, she looked over and saw us, stiffening instantly. "I didn't mean to interrupt," she said softly.

"No need, Luna!" Corey said cheerfully, standing up and walking to the front door. "We were finished. I was just leaving."

I glare at him, but he only waves and leaves. I sigh and put my head in my hands, wondering what to do. Soft footsteps come closer and stop right behind me. I close my eyes, frustrated somehow at myself. "R-reed?"

"Hmm?" I say but don't look at her.

She doesn't say anything for a moment, and I wonder if she's still there. But then I barely hear her say, "Are you okay?"

Slowly, I sit up and turn to her. She's standing stiffly right behind me, looking down with curious eyes. "I'm stressed out, that's all."

Simone tilts her head and glances away before looking at me again. "I can go away if you want."

I shake my head and stand, startling her a little. "No, Simone. I don't want you to go away. I want you to stay."

For a moment, her amber eyes brighten, but then, she slumps. "What do you want me to do then?"

I furrow my brows but walk around the couch and up to her. I hear her soft gasp before her heart starts racing. "Be yourself," I say lowly. "Whatever you want to do, do it."

Her eyes widen and she shakes her head. "But—"

"You're not in that pack anymore, Simone. You're here, with me. Forget what they told you. Listen to what I'm saying. I want you to be yourself and do whatever you want."

Her heart speeds up a little more as she stares at me. "Whatever I want?" I nod. Biting her lip, Simone looks around then says softly, "Can I go outside and run? By myself?"

"Can you find the borders?" She nods quickly, giving me a small smile. "Then go ahead. If anything happens, howl for someone to help you, okay?"

"Really?" she asks breathless.