21: Simone

I woke later that day with a splitting headache. Groaning, I shift in bed and instantly feel someone sit beside me.
"Simone?" I hear Thrain's deep voice.

"My head hurts..."

"The doctor is on his way to bring you some Advil," he says softly.

"I don't want the doctor!" I hiss.

"Do you want me to get Reed?" I nod and he's silent for a long time. Then,

"Reed is coming. It'll take him a few minutes because he's at the house with Corey."

I groan some more and Thrain puts his hand in mine, squeezing a little. I ask after a minute, "Is she really alive?"

"Who?"

"My mother. Didn't you see her?"

"No, I didn't see her, but Corey did, and he says she is definitely alive."

I open my eyes finally to look at him. "What's going to happen?"

He smiles solemnly. "I don't know, Luna. I don't know."

A knock on the door sounds and we both look towards it to see the pack doctor. I don't trust him. Something about him makes my skin crawl and I'm the only one because everyone else likes him. "Beta, you called?"

"She has a headache."

The man shrugs and hands Thrain a bottle. "Two of these should do the trick within the hour. Anything else?"

"No, thank you." The doctor leaves and I relax. Thrain gets up and grabs a cup of water, pours two pills into his hand, then sits beside me. "Here you go."

I look at the small tablets in his hand and furrow my brows. "What is that?"

"It doesn't have a label," he murmured.

"I'm not taking it," I say and turn away.

"Strange. I wonder if he gave me the wrong pills."

I snort and close my eyes, willing the pain to go away, willing the past event of the day to never have happened.

"Everything alright in here?" I hear and look back. Reed and Corey walk in, the former focusing on me. "How do you feel?"

"She has a headache. The doctor came in and gave these to me, but I think he handed me the wrong meds," explained Thrain.

Corey looks close at the medication and crosses his arms. "Good thing no one swallowed those!"

"Why not?" I ask.

"It's poison. Not just for humans either."

My gut roils and I feel sick. Reed takes the bottle and throws it away, growling. "Can I not trust anyone else to protect their Luna?" He sits down once Thrain stands and cups my cheek. "You didn't take one, did you?"

"No. It didn't look right."

He sighs in relief and leans down. "Good. I don't need you poisoned by medication." He kisses me and carefully has me sit up. "I need to check your back."

I wrap my arms around him and rest my head on his shoulder, letting him take care of me. I feel frigid air touch my back and shiver before his warm fingertips graze over the middle and I flinch. "Ow!" I hiss.

He pulls back, looking surprised. "That hurt?" I nod. "Lay on your stomach for a moment, please."

I oblige and turn around, laying down and hugging the pillows. The first reaction I hear is from Corey. "Damn it!"