9: Simone

I was having an enjoyable time ever since Reed let me go running. He let me stay out for however long I wanted, without giving me a time limit. When I came back, he brought me to the bonfire and told me to eat whatever I wanted...as much as I wanted. I was beginning to like this pack...to like him.

Then the last person I wanted to see came up and shoved me away from the food, spilling my plate all over me. I looked up to see Jena. My eyes widen for a moment, not believing what I was seeing, then she smirked and said, "You think you can mate with the alpha? What the hell is wrong with you?"

I sat up a little and brushed the food off me, frowning at the stains on the shirt I knew to be Reed's. "He's my mate..."

"He is not your mate, Simone!" she growled. "Why do you think an alpha would want to be a mate with you?"

"Reed said so," I whispered.

"He took pity on you, idiot! He's not your mate! He only wants to use you!"

I shake my head, wanting it to not be true. "No! You're wrong! He is my mate!"

Jena squatted down so we were eyelevel and smiled pitifully. "Alpha Roniston told you mates lie. If he hasn't pushed you away yet, he will."

I bit my lip, trembling. She can't be right! Reed was different from what people have said. I know it. He is my mate. He's not going to push me away. He wouldn't. He's...

Jena smiled. "Now, why don't you go somewhere and hide. We wouldn't want you getting hurt, now would we?"

"He cares!" I whimper.

"He's faking it, Simone. Can't you tell when someone is lying?" she whispered and I looked away, standing up and hugging myself. Jena did the same and patted my head. "Be a good girl and go hide. I'll make sure he doesn't come after you."

Nodding, I walk away from the mess of food and into the forest of darkness. Jena was right...he was lying.

From behind me, I hear a loud roar and stop, tensing slightly before a howl split the air. Before I knew what I was doing, I shifted and ran. Terrified of anyone catching me, I pushed my legs to go as fast as they could. More howls pierced the air and I flattened my ears. Dodging trees and leaping over logs, I ran as fast as I could.

There was a growl behind me, and I yelped, falling over something, and spraining my ankle. Yellow eyes peered at me from the darkness and I whined. Another growl ripped from its throat as it sprang on top of me. Tail between my legs, I laid unmoving feeling it's hot breath on my cheek. Its teeth scraped along my fur, making me shiver in fear.

Another growl from somewhere nearby made the wolf look up, its hackles raised. It lunged and I heard a thud before growling and snarling and finally a howl of pain. Giving the survivor no time to recover from the small battle, I leapt up and ran.

Paws pounded behind me and I realized I was never going to make through to see another day. It was going to catch up and kill me, and I wasn't going to ever see daylight again. This makes my heart ache which distracts me enough that I don't see a wolf lunge at me from my right, tackling me to the ground. Yelping in more pain, I whine and struggle, trying to be free.

"Simone!"

I stopped, my heart leaping into my throat and my ears flattening on my head in fear.

The wolf on top of me backs away and I stand favoring my injured paw and looking around. Two wolves flanked me while Reed stood in his human form in front of me. "Shift, please," he says more softly.

I whine and shake my head, backing away a step.

"Simone don't run away from me!" he growled. That only made me yelp and back away some more. Reed took a step towards me, eyes fixed on mine. "Come here, girl."