Chapter 7: To You, Junpei, Someday...

Nana's POV

A few days back, three deformed corpses were found at Kinema Cinema in Kawasaki City, Tokyo, and to investigate the crime scene, Grade 1 jujutsu sorcerer, Kento Nanami was accompanied by Yuji at that time. Gojo sensei told the pink-haired boy that this whole crime scene investigation thing with Nanami was also a part of his jujutsu training from which Yuji would learn a ton of important stuff from the stoic ex-salaryman.

During this investigation, Nanami contacted me and asked me to help out Yuji and Ijichi in tracking down a 17-year-old high school boy named Junpei Yoshino, also saying that my cooperation in this investigation would help Yuji even more with his training since only I, who was one of his closest friends, knew he was still alive and well. I then accepted Nanami's request and joined Yuji to track down Junpei. In the end, we were successful in our mission and even befriended the Yoshino boy.

Junpei at first seemed to be a bit awkward and shy, but after knowing him, I realized that he was actually a very sweet and nice boy. We also met his mother, Nagi Yoshino; a friendly laid-back youthful woman who cared deeply for her son and was eager for him to make friends which led her to take a liking toward me and Yuji as Junpei's new friends immediately.

This mother-son Yoshino family was actually very wonderful and I could tell that Nagi was the reason why Junpei still hadn't turned into a bad person or lost his humanity even though he suffered so much pain from his bullies in school. His mother literally was his last straw, his pillar, his everything. And seeing this, I only prayed for this Yoshino family to live a long happy life.

But fate has its own way to lead us down certain paths which ultimately makes us realize one thing – Reality is brutal and it sucks.

"After the incident at Satozakura high school, we discovered the corpse of Nagi Yoshino, Junpei Yoshino's mother, at their home, along with an unsealed Sukuna's finger- his second lift arms pinky finger." Ijichi informed me over the phone.

After listening to this, my heart literally stopped beating.

What?

Just yesterday, after meeting Junpei and his mother, Yuji and I went to their house and ate dinner with them. We even watched a movie together after dinner. I could still vividly remember the last night's incidents like how Junpei's mother got drunk and fell asleep on the dining table, like how I then washed all the dirty dishes for them after dinner and Junpei got a bit embarrassed for this, but I ensured him not to worry about it and then after that how the boys and I watched and enjoyed an old Hollywood movie together, chatting among ourselves, laughing together the entire time.

So many things happened that occurred just last night, just a few hours ago.

Even before Yuji and I bade our farewells and left, we saw everything was fine with our very own eyes. Junpei was fine, his mother was fine. Both of them were well and alive. But now, early this morning, just a few hours later after we left Junpei's house, I was getting a phone call from Ijichi and learned that his mother died? Or even worse, being killed by a cursed spirit?

Why and how?

"We believe she was attacked by cursed spirits drawn to his finger." Ijichi continued. "Her remains were missing everything from the waist down. There were no visible or detectable traces of blood found on site and her body was lying down in her bedroom. Lifting up the blanket revealed only cold packs and ice bags spread out beneath it."

"And your reason for calling me?" I asked, furrowing my eyebrows.

"Itadori-kun went after Junpei Yoshino." Ijichi replied. "We believe Yoshino would do something. We got info that he went to his school today. I tried to stop Itadori-kun, but..."