2

A knock on the door causes Juliet to look up from where she was writing about Small Heath already. She gets to her feet and flattens down her dress before opening the door to reveal an older man with dreadlocks in his hair and a gold cross resting on his chest.

"Good afternoon, my name is Jeremiah and Arthur told me you require accompaniment to the Garrison pub?" The man asks, offering her a short bow out of respect.

"That is correct," Juliet says, giving the man a smile. "I'm Juliet"

Jeremiah waits patiently as Juliet pulls on her coat and locks her door before offering her his arm which she takes without hesitation.

"So what brings you to Small Heath?" Jeremiah asks.

"It sounds silly but I needed a breath of fresh air," Juliet says, as she takes a drag of the cigarette between her lips.

"And you chose Small Heath?"

"London and the countryside get boring after a while," Juliet says, ignoring the stares as she was through the town with the local preacher.

"You enjoy adventure do you not?" Jeremiah asks and Juliet nods. "You have a spark in your eye that not many can possess. It shows a soul who has travelled many places and yet has only physically been in very few"

"You're very perceptive," Juliet says.

"I've learned how to read people over my many years," Jeremiah says. "And you have a soul that sets you apart from the rest, protect it, my dear,"

They stop outside a dingy building and Jeremiah opens the door for Juliet.

"This is where I say my farewells," Jeremiah says.

"Thank you," Juliet says. "For providing me with good company on this short walk"

"It was my pleasure," Jeremiah bows slightly before he turns and walks away.

Juliet steps into the small pub and a man turns to face her.

"We're closed,"

"I'm not here for a drink," Juliet says. "I'm here for employment"

"No,"

"I was told to say that Arthur Shelby sent me, if that means anything to you," Juliet says.

The man's face drains of colour and Juliet takes his reaction in with curiosity alight in her eyes. The man was clearly terrified of the kind man she had met earlier in the day. The reaction reigniting that excitement in her once again, the idea of the juxtaposition of Arthur as a Doctor Jekyll and Me Hyde thrilled her.

"Do you have any previous experience?"

"Yes," Juliet says. "I used to sing in the pubs too. I was called the songbird because of my voice"

"Well show me what you've got," The man says.

"Look how the light of the town. The lights of the town are shining now. Tonight I'll be dancing around. I'm off on the road to Galway now," Juliet sings softly as she begins to clean as she does so. "Look how she's off on the town. She's off on a search for sailors though there's fine fellas here to be found. She's never been one to stay at home. Home you'll go and it's there you'll stay. And you've work to do in the morning. Give up your dream of going away. Forget your sailors in Galway"

"If they have you up against a wall, on Arthur's head be it," The man mutters under his breath and Juliet grins.

"So I have the job?"

"Yes, I'll introduce you to Grace tomorrow afternoon. I'm Harry Fenton, I sort of own the place," Harry says. "And I'll teach you the do's and don'ts and who's who of Small Heath, Though from the sounds of it you've already met some of the worst this place has to offer"

"Who?"

"Well you've already met two Peaky Blinders love," Harry says.

"Arthur Shelby," Juliet mutters. "How did I not put it together?"

"Women don't usually end up on the receiving end of the Peaky Boys' anger," Harry explains to her. "But Polly Gray is a whole other story, that woman holds a grudge like no other and hell hath no fury like Polly Gray scorned"

"And Polly is-"

"The matriarch of the family," Harry says. "And Thomas, although not the eldest, is the patriarch"

"Shouldn't the patriarch be the eldest?" Juliet asks.

"Usually yes," Harry nods. "But Thomas is cunning like no other and Arthur prefers the lack of responsibility and John has more than enough responsibility with all that spawn of his"

"It's getting late," Juliet says. "I am going to return home. I shall see you tomorrow Harry"

"I don't even know your name,"

"I'm Juliet,"