23

The Shelby family were all sitting waiting for the man who had called the family meeting to show up. Juliet had a glass of whiskey sat next to her on the table, a cigarette in one hand and 'Alice's Adventures in Wonderland' in her other. She had her feet propped up in Arthur's lap and the older man had grumbled but it was clear he wasn't really bothered. 

"Sit down Finn," Arthur says to the pacing boy. 

"Where the bloody hell is Tommy?" John asks.

"He'll be here," Juliet says. "If not, gang wars will be the least of his worries for making me leave my writing.

"Right then," Arthur says. "While we're waiting patiently- Whiskey"

Esme looks at John but he ignores her, causing Juliet to roll her eyes at the man's ignorance. Juliet pours Esme a glass of whiskey and slides it over to the woman who sends her a grateful smile.

"Ignore him," Juliet says. "You're a Shelby Esme, if someone doesn't give you whiskey you throw the bottle at them"

"Right," John says. "Before Tommy gets here, there are a few things we need to get straight between us"

"You think?" Polly asks.

"Yeah," John says. "Yeah, I do. I want to know when did we all take a vote on this expansion south?"

"You have anything to say, you wait for Thomas," Polly says.

"Polly's fucking right," Arthur says.

"Just pretend to listen," Juliet says. "Eventually he shuts up"

"Go to hell, Jules,"

"And leave you here, all alone? I could never,"

"I see all the books," John says. "Legal and off-track. Saw stuff you don't see. In the past year, the Shelby Company Limited has been making 150 pounds a day. Right? A fucking day. Sometimes more. So what I want to know is why are we changing things?"

Everyone stares at John who went silent.

"Has he finished?" Juliet murmurs to Arthur.

"Polly look what's happened already," John says.

"Apparently not" Arthur replies, keeping his voice low.

"We haven't even set foot in London yet" John continues. "They've already blown up our fucking pub"

"Who said anything about cockneys?" Arthur asks.

"Who else?" Esme pipes up.

"You know who did it, do you?" Polly asks.

"No, she doesn't know who did it," John says.

"I wasn't aware marriage hindered freedom of speech" Juliet comments as she turns the page.

"I'm told only family are allowed to speak," Esme says, her bravery clearly wavering under Polly's gaze.

"Everyone's allowed to speak," Tommy says, walking into the room. "On your feet, Esme. Let's hear what you have to say"

"I speak for our household," John says.

"John, this company is a modern enterprise and believes in equal rights for women," Tommy says. "On your feet Esme"

"I'm not a blood member of this family," Esme says. "But perhaps because I am not a member, I can see things in a different light. So I will get to my point"

"That would be nice," Polly says.

"As my husband said" Esme continues. "Shelby Company Limited is now very successful. But London. I have kin in Shepherds Bush and Portobello. It's more like wars between armies down there and the coppers fight side by side with them. there are foreigners of every description"

"She's not wrong," Juliet says. 

"The use of bombs is the least of it," Esme says. "I have a child. Blessed with the Shelby family good looks."

"Not if it's John's genes," Juliet murmurs to Arthur who snorts into his whiskey.

"I want John to see him grow up" Esme continues. "I want us to someday live somewhere with fresh air and trees and keep chickens or something. But London is just smoke and trouble, Thomas."

"Thomas?" Polly asks.

"That's all I have to say," Esme says.

"That was a lot of words," Arthur says. "A lot of words. Wash them down with a nice drink."

"Thank you, Esme," Tommy says. "Firstly, the bang in the pub has nothing to do with London. Understood? The bang is something I'm dealing with on my own. Secondly, we have nothing to fear from the business expansion so long as we stick together. After the first few weeks, nine-tenths of what we do in London will be legal. The other tenth is in good hands. Isn't that right Arthur"

Arthur provides his younger brother with a curt nod.

"Some of you in this room have expressed reservations," Tommy says. "Fair enough. Any of you who want no part in the future of this company, walk out the door. Right now" Tommy stares at John. "Go and raise your chickens. Those of you with ambition, the expansion process begins tomorrow"

Masking fear was a survival essential in the life they were in. So much so that they don't feel fear as others apparently do. Masking fear should be a temporary solution to a temporary problem but when there are continuous problems that's when the mask crumbles, allowing the fear to make itself known to your enemies, and fear can be exploited.