4

Juliet was writing when a loud hammering knock disturbs her train of thought.

There is God and then there are men who play God. The ones who play God despite their beliefs are still mortal and will still die as everyone else is fated to-

"POLICE OPEN UP!"

Juliet locks her study door before she slowly unlocks her door. Three policemen burst in and begin ransacking her house.

"What are you searching for?" Juliet asks and a voice causes her to turn back to the doorway.

"The Holy Grail," The man says, his accent thick as he takes striding steps towards Juliet.

"Surely my house will not hold the Holy Grail?" Juliet asks. "No wonder crime is never solved"

The man grips Juliet's face in his hand tightly and she squirms in his grip, trying to pry his hand from her face which would surely bruise in the pattern of his stubby fingers.

"Such a sharp tongue from such a petite woman," The man says, tutting disapprovingly.

"If you don't take your hand off of me in the next five seconds," Juliet says. "Rest assured that you won't have any come tomorrow"

"Boys, I think this lady may have a concealed weapon," The man says. "I think we need to give her a pat-down to be sure. Arms up"

Juliet rolls her eyes before raising her arms as the police officer begins feeling down her arms.

"Oh come on," Juliet mocks the officer. "Don't be shy"

"I've never understood why women talk back," The man who had gripped Juliet's face says. "They will always be outsmarted and outmuscled. They need to understand what they can and should do is shut up and know their place"

"But you should know something," Juliet says. "There is something more dangerous in this world than a humiliated man, a nasty woman and today you met one"

Juliet then spits in the man's face and he screws up his face in disgust before the back of his hand swiftly connects with Juliet's face. The young woman groans in pain before a laugh slips from her lips.

"My mother hits harder than you," She says with a grin, ignoring the fact that blood was trickling from her now split lip.

"You think you are so powerful," The man says. "Why?"

"I need no reasons. I simply am. Feel free to tremble."

"There's nothing here," One of the officers says and Juliet looks to the man.

"Seems performance issues are showing," The woman mocks, only to receive another hit.

"Leave her now," The man commands. "I'm sure we'll meet again"

"I would say it was a pleasure but that would be a lie," Juliet says as they leave.

"You should watch your tongue," The man says. "It will get you in trouble one day"

"And that day I eagerly await," Juliet says.

"Oh and one final thing, tell Thomas I want a meeting with him," The man says. "You seem to be getting close with that family so I'll allow you to pass on the message"

When Arthur walks into Juliet's house, he can see where she's tried to put together the damage done by the police. He sees the young brunette woman sitting at her kitchen table, a bag of something frozen pressed to her cheek and she was sporting a split lip with dried blood on her chin.

"Juliet," Arthur says and the young woman jumps at the noise, turning to face the man and her body slumps in relief.

When Arthur gets a good look at her face, he sees that accompanying her split lip there were finger-shaped bruises dotted across her chin and when he gently pries the makeshift cold compress from her face he spots a handprint on her face.

"Some Irish copper," Juliet says when Arthur opens his mouth. "Got a little too smart for his liking. He told me he wants to meet Thomas"

"Come on," Arthur says, offering her his hand which she takes.

"Where are we going?"

"Next door," Arthur says. "My aunt Polly will have something to put on those bruises and that lip"

Arthur opens the front door and ushers Juliet inside.

"Arthur is that you?"

"Yeah, Pol, I've got a guest that needs a bit of help,"

An older woman who was still stunning despite her age walks out and into Juliet's line of sight. With one look at the woman, Juliet knew that woman was formidable and not to be crossed. She had curled brown hair and a pendant around her neck she recognised as the black Madonna.

"You have gypsy blood," Polly says, looking at the girl. "I see it in your face, underneath those horrendous bruises. Arthur put the kettle on"

Polly leads the young woman to the dining room and sits her down before walking over to a small cabinet full of herbs. She pulls out a small vial labelled Arnica which had been turned into a paste. Polly gently applies the paste to Juliet's bruises and rubs it into her skin.

"That'll stop them from hurting," Polly says. "And it won't make them so bold, especially on skin as fair as yours"

Arthur walks in with a tray containing a teapot and some cups.

"The copper told her to pass a message to Tommy," Arthur says and Polly looks to the younger woman.

"He said he knew Thomas was the boss and wanted to meet him," Juliet says. "He said he knew I had made friends with Arthur since my arrival so figured I was an effective messenger especially after being marked up like this"

"He won't lay another hand on you," A voice says and Juliet turns to face Thomas in the doorway. "I'll make sure of it"

And for some reason, Juliet believed his words were sincere.