6

Juliet was cleaning the back steps of the Garrison when the sound of hooves hitting the cobbles causes her to look up. She spots a stunning white horse and her eyes look to the equally stunning man who was holding the reins of the horse. Juliet watches the horse become spooked by the loud noises of the factory and more of the enigma that is Thomas Shelby is revealed as he soothes the horse with soft-spoken words and kindness, stroking his nose until the horse becomes calm once again.

Juliet picks up the bucket, having finished her task and sloshes it out when she spots a pair of feet jumping back to avoid the small wave of filth sloshing onto the street. Juliet has to bite her lip to prevent herself from laughing as she looks at the unimpressed face of Tommy.

"Sorry Mr Shelby," Juliet says, but the amusement in her voice made it clear to Tommy that the apology was anything but sincere. Much like the one he had given her upon their second meeting.

"Call me Tommy," The man says. "Mr Shelby makes me feel old"

"So is it not fitting?" Juliet asks and Tommy raises his eyebrows at her joke.

"I've never met a woman with such a sharp tongue," Tommy says. "Besides my Aunt Polly but she's a law unto herself"

"I'm just honest," Juliet says with a smile and Tommy nods.

"Honesty is something you like to play with isn't it, Juliet?" Tommy asks and the woman shrugs.

"Where is the fun in storytelling if there is no fiction?"

"So you enjoy telling stories?"

"Yes, my imagination is vast so it is a particular talent of mine,"

"Your imagination is refreshing," Tommy says.

"My imagination allows me to be anyone and go anywhere even when confined in a small town,"

"And who are you now?"

"That I'm still trying to discover," Juliet says before glancing to the horse once again. "What's his name?"

"He doesn't have one," Tommy says.

"A horse this beautiful deserves a name," Juliet says.

"You have something to say to me" Tommy states.

"I believe your ban on singing is wrong," Juliet says. "The men of this town trudge around miserable and yet something as simple as music brings that joy that was lost back to their hearts. Harry was too scared to ask and Grace didn't know how to approach you."

"But not you,"

"I believe I've made it quite clear that I do not fear you, Thomas," Juliet says. "And I love music, the songs all contain stories"

"Spoken like a true writer," Tommy says. "Do you like horses? Fancy earning some extra money?"

"Doing what?" Juliet was cautious of the offer, knowing nothing with Thomas Shelby came without a price.

"Dig out a nice dress. I'm taking you to the races,"

A loud bang on the Garrison door startles Juliet out of her count. Harry had wanted to spend some time with his wife and had left Juliet in charge of the money count. Juliet cautiously opens the door, worried about what could be waiting on the other side.

Once the door was open, a soaking wet Tommy Shelby was revealed to her.

"We're closed Thomas," Juliet says.

"Just get me a drink," Tommy says, sitting down at the table where Juliet had been doing the count as the woman picks up her half smoked cigarette.