Chapter 7 (Amy) (Edited)

*****Edited by krisgee*****

2011 © All Rights Reserved

Chapter 7 (Amy)

             Dang.  Why didn’t I close the curtain last night? The thought occurred to me while I was squinting my eyes at the bright light raining through my bedroom window.  Maybe if I hadn’t been fantasizing about a certain Mr. Hunky Chocolate Brown eyes then I would have remembered to close it.  Turning over, I looked at the clock and saw that it was 6:28 am.  Well hell, it’s going to go off in two minutes any way, might as well drag my lazy bum out of the bed. 

            I stood up and stretched when the song “Take It Off” by Kesha started to blare out of my purse.  Eyes half open I strode over to my desk and pulled out my phone.  I knew it was a text.  Opening it, I saw that it was Tabby. 

            “Of course”, I muttered to myself.  Who else would text me at the crack of dawn?  Tabby and Aunt Layla rise with the freaking chickens.

            “Talent show next week.  My house after school.  Brainstorming time.

            Great, just what I was looking forward to first thing this morning.  The wonderful news just keeps piling up, I thought sarcastically.  Tabby’s brilliant idea last year was for Liza, her and me to prance around in yellow polka dot bikinis brandishing umbrellas and singing “It’s Raining Men.”  She wanted to be sure that we were the highlight of the talent show, which we were, and most definitely not in a good way I might add.  I had never felt more like an idiot in all of my life that I did on that one single night. 

            Sighing, I tossed the phone back into my purse and headed for my closet.  At some point I was going to have to go downstairs and face my family.  I was really surprised that I wasn’t dragged out of my room for questioning last night by Mom or Dad.  Mom had come up around dinner time to let me know that supper was ready and I played off complaining of a terrible headache.  She brought me some ibuprofen and a plate of food to my room.  Nothing else was said.  Could it be that Zach didn’t say anything to Mom or Dad?  No telling with that boy. 

            Shaking my head I went to shower and get ready for the day.  Walking back in my room feeling fresh and clean, Romeo came out from under the bed and wrapped himself around my leg, begging for attention.  I picked him up and scratched his head in that special spot between his ears. 

            “You’re such a good boy, Romeo.  If only all boys could be as simple minded as you.  A little food, a little attention and then send them on their way.” 

            He purred in response, causing me to smile.  I laid him on the bed and watched as he pawed his way up to my pillow and curled himself into a ball.  He gave me a lazy look before closing his eyes and effectively dismissing me.  I shook my head again as I picked up my book bag and purse, ready to face the music.

            I tip toed down the stairs trying to hear who was down stairs and I was met with an eerie silence.  Strange, I thought to myself.  I walked into the kitchen and Zach was sitting in his usual spot at the counter.  He lifted his head up and nodded hello with an expressionless face.  No smile or cheery disposition.  Not my loveable big brother.  He must still be pissed.

            I walked past him and pulled a granola bar out of the pantry.  The only noise in the kitchen was me padding around.  I poured a glass of apple juice and carried my breakfast over to the counter opposite of Zach.