Chapter 26 (Steven) (Edited)

*****Edited by krisgee*****

 2011 © All Rights Reserved

Chapter 26   (Steven) 

            I peeled my lips back and bared my canines in warning as Amy’s father started to slowly circle   me.  This was it, I thought to myself.  This was for my right to have Amy as a mate.  In the background I heard her scream aloud the word "No" and I had to struggle to not run back into her arms.  I needed to remain focused on my opponent.  It was my duty to prove my worth to her father or there would never be any hope for us to be together and remain in her family’s pack.

            A growl escaped her father’s lips and I responded in kind.  Hoping to catch him off guard I sprung forward unexpectedly.  Damn, that man can move.  He quickly side stepped out of my way and we returned to circling and snarling at each other.

            The next move was his.  The Alpha was definitely the more experienced fighter.  He lunged and before I could react he was easily able to latch himself securely to my back.  I felt the sting of his bite when his jaws clamped down and his teeth instantly broke through my skin.  Drawing on my wolf strength I bucked wildly finally throwing him off of me.

            An agonized howl erupted in the distance and for a moment I turned to see a grey wolf watching us with a deep sadness filling her eyes.  I wanted to go to her then but the warning growl coming from behind had me whipping my head around to brace for another attack.  

            I was prepared for his quickness this time and jumped backwards.  His teeth chomped air and it was then that I decided to take the advantage.  With his back turned I leapt and sunk my teeth into his back leg.  My mouth instantly filled with the metallic taste of his blood and I held fast.  I had him and I wasn’t about to let go until he conceded the victory to me.  

            “ENOUGH!”  

            That one word echoed through the room with such authority causing both of us to pause and turn our heads.  Standing in our wake was Amy’s Grandpop and he no longer looked like the feeble old man that had greeted me when I first walked through his door.  He seemed much taller and much more alive.  Strength illuminated from him in spades.  His eyes had turned obsidian black and he was furious.

            “Change,” he ordered. 

            The authority in his tone booked no arguments.  I instantly returned to my human self and stood before him in the buff with my head bowed. 

 “I said to change, Will,” he spoke harshly again with his eyes narrowed on his son's wolf.  “If you do not change then I will be forced to challenge you for the Alpha position and with the mood I am in, I will kick your ass all over this place.”

            Father and son stared at each other for several moments before I felt the familiar crack of electricity humming in the air.  The tension filling the room was thick, making it hard to breathe. 

 “Submit, son,” Grandpop ordered sternly.

            I didn’t dare turn my head to observe what Amy’s father was doing, but I was aware the instant that he had submitted.  The air seemed to thin and I no longer felt as if I was being smothered.  The strength that came from Grandpop was unreal.

            Grandpop’s frame suddenly seemed to slump and in that single moment I knew he had used every bit of energy that he had to stop the fight.  I watched on in horror as he fell to his knees and collapsed on the floor.

            “Dad!” Amy’s father called out and ran to his side.  He cradled his father’s head in his lap and for the first time I was able to see a side of the Alpha that I had yet to see.