Haikyuu!! Tobio's Girl. Chapter 3

This is so sad. Reina looked around at girls from the Karasuno volleyball team, who had just exited the court after losing in the tournament's first round.

After she told her senpai, the main editor of the school newspaper, that she was interested in relating the school teams' tournaments, his eyes lit up. He said he was dreaming of expanding the sports section in the paper, but nobody would help him out. The next thing she knew, he took her to check out the Karasuno baseball team match. She almost fell asleep. Maybe watching sports wasn't for her after all. But she committed. He wanted her to cover the basketball match next. She kind of enjoyed that. Not because of the game, but because of the people cheering from the stands. Many popular kids had come, including Kobayashi-senpai. She wanted to go to the second match as well, but she still had volleyball to cover. She tagged along with the girls' team to the venue, so she felt obliged to watch their match first.

That's how she landed here. It wasn't a fun thing to watch. The team was fighting till the end, but the difference in skill level was crushing. She felt sorry for them, but she couldn't participate in their feelings. It's just a game, right? And if they care so much, why didn't they train harder? But the girls' emotions were real. There was nothing to mock about them. She almost envied them to feel such distress. This was high school life she would never have. She fought the urge to catch their crying faces with the camera.

"Sorry, but I need to go and see if the boys are still playing," she said to the captain and quickly left.

Just one more match to go. She hoped the guys were still in the game. She got into this because of Kageyama, so she felt obliged to watch at least one of his matches, in case he ever asked. But, to be honest, it wasn't the ideal way to spend her Saturday.

She went to the stands in the boys' tournament venue. She looked around and saw the Karasuno team on the court below. At the same time, she heard a bellowing cheer, "Go, go, let's go, Dateko!"

Oh, no. Didn't a big cheering section mean that the opponents were strong? Am I going to witness another lost game?

At that moment, however, the whole arena went into hysteric cheer after one of Karasuno's plays. Then one more time. She looked at the score. Karasuno went head to head with that Dateko team. Reina got hyped when she listened to spectators gushing over Karasuno players.

"That tiny Nr.10 did what?!"

"Did you see how fast that ball was set?!"

"How did he set a quick from there?! That setter has a ridiculous skill!"

Reina overheard at least ten comments about "that setter" before she realized people meant Kageyama.

Wait, what?!

If she didn't know beforehand that he was playing, she wouldn't believe it was him. He was a completely different person on the court.

Withholding her breath, she watched one crazy play after another, trying to figure out what was going on. She memorized basic volleyball rules before coming here, but this was on another level. It was fast-paced, hard to follow, and, honestly, exciting to watch.

When the match ended, she was cheering loudly alongside the girls' team. She looked at her camera, wondering how many pictures she had taken. The memory card was full.

"That means they're going to play tomorrow, right?" she asked one of the girls. She was determined to watch another game.

8i8

Reina looked back and saw Kageyama with his face on the desk. Most of their classmates would think he was asleep, but she knew it wasn't the case. Yesterday was the second day of the Volleyball Inter-High Tournament, Karasuno vs Aoba Jousai, and Karasuno had lost.