Haikyuu!! Tobio's Girl Chapter 14

"The Tokyo Gymnasium is shaking from the roar of the crowd! Karasuno High School earns its spot in the top 16. One of the favorites, Inarizaki High school, is out after their first match. It's only been the second day, but we've just witnessed one of the biggest upsets of the tournament!"

Reina, mesmerized, was looking at the court from the stands. When the Karasuno team gave their thanks to the audience, people around her were cheering loudly, but she was so stunned and speechless that she could only clap her hands. It was as if she saw, everybody saw, for the first time what Kageyama could become. Reina was proud, but it also terrified her a little.

When she saw that others rushed downstairs to meet the team, she followed.

"You did it! You did it, guys! That was amazing!" Coach Ukai's friends were shouting.

"Ryu! My little brother! Let me give you a hug!" Saeko jumped at surprised Tanaka.

"Yatta! Yatta! We won!" That was Yachi, who came over with the team.

Reina finally spotted Kageyama and waved to him. He looked at her, confused.

"Reina, how... why are you here?" he asked. She wasn't surprised that he didn't notice her in the stands.

"I flew in today, and I persuaded my brother to drive here and see the match before we go home. I wasn't sure if it would work out, so I didn't tell you anything."

"Did you see it? Did you see the match?" Kageyama was barely standing, but there was still excitement in his eyes.

"Yes... it was amazing. Your play was... I mean, I don't even know what to say...."

"I know. It felt the best today. It was like..." Kageyama was getting even more excited, but he abruptly stopped. "Ummm... Why are so many people staring at us?"

"Well, after that match?! I think you're getting famous."

Kageyama furrowed his brow. Although he didn't lack confidence, she knew he was a rather reserved person, especially off the court. "Come with me," he said and grabbed her hand. He briskly led her through a maze of stairs and corridors until they reached an empty one.

"Tobio, why did you bring me here?" she asked.

"Did you see the whole game?!"

"Yes."

"Did you see what Miya Atsumu did?! That low set?"

"I did."

"And that cross from Tanaka? And then his line shot? I was so right to set him then." Kageyama was listing all the best plays while trying to reenact them with his hands. "And when I set the ball across the court to Asahi, and he tricked the block, and-"

Reina had never seen him so excited before, but he was so exhausted that she was worried he might stumble and fall.

"I saw it all. But you need to calm down a bit." She touched his arm. He looked at her as if he didn't believe she was there. Then suddenly, he wrapped his arms around her and rested his head on her shoulder. She didn't expect that. He stopped moving completely.

"Tobio, what are you doing? Is everything okay?"

"I'm calming down."

"Oh... ok." She said and fell silent, listening to his still elevated heartbeat.

"It was the best game I ever played in my life," Tobio said after a while. He was still shaking a little. "And tomorrow we're playing Nekoma. Are you going to come too?" he raised his head to look at her.

"Oh, I wish. It will be epic. But I need to go back home. I'm going to watch it online for sure. I'm so happy that I could come today. It was amazing."

He smiled at her wearily. She smiled back.

"Do you want to go back to the team?" she asked.

"Not yet." He flopped his head back on her shoulder and stayed like that. He seemed much calmer now, but Reina's heart was beating fast. She wished they could stay like this forever, but he was getting heavier with every second.

"Um, Tobio... Please don't fall asleep. We might fall then."

"Right, we should go back." he straightened himself up reluctantly. Slowly they went together to the players' area. Kageyama went inside, and she waved him goodbye. Afterward, she took out her phone and called her brother to meet her at the entrance.

"Where did you disappear to?" Haruo asked when he saw her.

"Not your business."

"Oh, don't tell me you went to see that boyfriend of yours. I must say I'm surprised. You were always telling me how you wanted a fun high-school life. That's why you wanted to go to Karasuno, a 'normal' high school. But then, you ended up dating an All-Japan Youth best setter." He laughed hysterically. "How often do you guys go out? He must be training like crazy," he said with a smirk.

"Well, why suffice with ordinary when you can have extraordinary," she said with a smile. At this very moment, she didn't have any complaints about her relationship with Tobio.

"Mhm... if you're so into athletes, you should have followed my footsteps and gone to Shiratorizawa. They excel in sports."

"You're aware that we've beaten Shiratorizawa's team to get here, right?"

"They have an awesome science program as well."

"Oh, really? Do they have lectures by a university physics professor? Because I was homeschooled by one. Seriously, I knew all about high-school-level math and science before I even got here."

"Yeah, Dad tends to overdo it sometimes."

"He would give me Feynman as a light read."

"Aren't you glad that I've sent you all those manga over the years?"

"You're the best." She said, smiling at him. All in all, she admired her older brother. He always took care of her, even when they lived half a world from one another.

"I wonder who had more pull in shaping your worldview. Dad or me."

"You mean screwing up my worldview. Sometimes I think mom is the only sane person in this family."

"Yeah, I guess," her brother agreed. "Well, at least when she is on the mainland."

"But this place is the best!" he said, looking back at the Tokyo arena. "So many young athletes. So much springing, running, and hitting balls to 100km/h."

"Someone might misunderstand your fascination with young athletes."

"But I just want to study their abilities!" Reina's brother was finishing his degree in sports medicine. He was obsessed with the human body and performance since his high-school track team days.

"So, maybe you want to stay for tomorrow as well?" she asked innocently.

"No, I need to be at university tomorrow. And don't you have school?"

"Ah, right, school..." She cheer herself up with the thought, that they would probably allow anyone who was interested to watch the game. It was a big event for the school, after all.

She looked back at the arena and the excited crowd around it. Who would have thought that she would be ever so invested in a sport? To watch a match on her tiptoes and with a trembling heart. It was a place she didn't think she would ever belong. But for that brief moment with Kageyama, she felt she was a part of it all too.