Haikyuu!! Tobio's Girl. Chapter 4

It was class. It was quiet. You could hear the teacher scribbling the equation on the blackboard. Reina heard Sawako's snarky laughter, and she knew they were talking about her again.

It was all because she talked with Kobayashi-senpai in the cafeteria yesterday.

Of course, when she noticed him laughing with his friends, she tried to catch his attention in the most casual way possible. Every girl would. But he caught her completely off guard when he smiled widely and rushed over to her.

"I finally found you!" he said.

"Who? Me?!" She said, looking around. She dropped her wallet and forgot to pick it up. She couldn't quite believe this was happening.

"Yes. You're Takenaka-chan, right?" He picked up her things and put them in her hand. Contrary to her, he wasn't nervous at all.

"Mhm. Yes. That's me." She nodded her head eagerly.

"Well, don't you have something you should give me?"

"I don't know..." She got worried. Was it some kind of pickup line, she should know how to respond to? She wanted to make a good impression. "What do you mean?"

"The pictures. Don't you remember you took our pictures at the match last time? I want to see them."

"Oh, but I don't have them with me," she said with concern.

"Of course, you don't. Although I'd be flattered if you'd carry a picture of me at all times." He said, looking at her in a way that would make every girl in school jealous. Then he smiled cheerfully. "Just kidding... But I'd love to have them. I cherish such memories a lot." He took out his phone.

Reina got excited. She didn't have any boy's phone number yet.

"Do you think we could—" he started but didn't have a chance to finish.

"Oi, Kobayashi. Stop your flirting, and let's go," one of his friends called him.

"Oh, sorry. I need to go now. But I'll find you again." He said with a wink.

"Um... Yeah... Sure." She smiled nervously.

He waved at her and went to his friends.

That was their whole exchange. But it was enough for other girls to act colder toward her and talk behind her back.

She didn't care. Not at the moment, at least. To think that the most popular guy in school noticed her! Finally, something was starting. She just wished she could be more refined and witty around him instead of forgetting how to speak. Although weren't all the heroines in her favorite mangas clumsy and shy? Guys supposedly don't like girls that are too smart and confident. Maybe she did well. But she blew a chance to get his number...

She must have looked distracted, with her silly smile, because the teacher called her to solve the problem on the blackboard. Apparently, he did call her twice.

"Are you ok, Takenaka? If you need to go to the nurse—"

"I'm fine!" She stood up and examined the blackboard as she was approaching. She didn't listen during class, but she understood the equation itself. She quickly finished the calculations. The teacher praised her.

When she was returning to her desk, she realized Kageyama was looking at her. She was surprised. She didn't feel noticed by him often. Although it wasn't with a smile, his expression was tortured.

Oh, boy. He's really on alert with me being sick. My reluctant guardian. It stung her when she remembered what he said to Shimizu-senpai.

Reina tried to dismiss it, believing he would stop soon. But he was staring at her the whole morning.