Haikyuu!! Tobio's Girl Chapter 12

"So, what are you guys planning for Christmas Eve? Do you know a good spot for a date?" Miyako asked with excitement in her eyes.

Reina signed. They haven't been talking about boys for so long. Their conversations developed and now included topics like new rock bands (Sawako), ways to become a fashion influencer (Eri), cafes worth a train trip to the city (Miyako), advantageous photography of oneself and the environment(Reina). And many others in between. Like, is there a way to become an influencer by posting your photo with an emerging rock band taken in one of the popular cafes?

But with Christmas swiftly approaching, everyone started to talk about their love life, going on a dream date, and so on. Miyako was the most excited. After she starred as Snow White in their school play, in costume and make-up done by Eri, her confidence and popularity skyrocketed. And she got a boyfriend for the first time in her life. So she was set on doing all the things couples are supposed to do.

"How about you, Reina-chan? Have you and Kageyama planned something already?" she asked Reina.

"Umm..." she looked at Kageyama napping on his desk. After returning from the All-Japan camp, he was either sleeping in class or just sitting there, lost in his own thoughts with a stern expression. Once, he asked her if she thought he was a goody-two-shoes. She tried to talk with him more, but he wasn't willing, so she decided to just let him be.

"Do you realize that he goes to nationals right after New Year? He doesn't have time for anything now. It's just training and training, and then some more training." It was true. Reina was aware of his priorities.

"Sometimes, I envy you dating an upcoming star athlete. But maybe it's not that much fun after all," Sawako said.

"But we can always hang out together, just us, girls, right?" Reina asked.

"I have a date!" Miyako said pridefully.

"I also have a date." Eri was dating someone new outside of school again. But this time, she said, it was another high-schooler. Reina had reasons to believe it was Arakawa, that gloomy pretty boy Kobayashi-senpai introduced them to.

"I still can find a date." Even Sawako was joining in the romantic vibe of Christmas.

"Well, whatever. I might not even be here on the 24th. I'm going abroad to spend time with my family over the winter break, and my brother says 23rd is the best date to leave. He was supposed to buy tickets today. My mum is already there." Reina said. There was no reason for her to stay here, with Kageyama stuck in the gym most of the time.

"So you're going to see your dad. Don't mind me asking, but are your parents actually together? Because they live apart." Miyako asked.

"Yeah, sure they are. It's just because of their work. Both have their own research to do. There were times when we lived all together. And even now, when the two of them meet, they just cannot stop talking about stuff like the Fibonacci sequence in nautilus shells. They are a happy couple in their own weird way." Reina answered truthfully. The girls looked at her bewildered. Reina smiled. She knew her family was abnormal. But she was happy she would spend some time together with them.

A few days later, Reina was eating lunch with Kageyama. His mood had fluctuated a lot these days. After the practice match with Dateko, he seemed to cheer up, but now he looked troubled again.

"What's on your mind?" she asked him. She knew that question sometimes brought the most marvelous responses out of him. Kageyama perceived the world in a particular way. Well, it might be just some volleyball dilemma, but she didn't mind listening to that either. Inevitably, she became a big fan of the sport.

"Take... Reina...-san, are we supposed to do something on Christmas Eve?"

Reina choked on her food. Is Kageyama interested in going on a date? But she knew better than to assume things.

"And why do you ask?"

"Because everybody nags me about it. My sister, guys from the team, basically anyone who knows I have a girlfriend... and your friends seem to talk about it all the time. Apparently, it is something that couples are supposed to do. So I wanted to ask if you wanted to go somewhere."

"Well, if it was possible. But it's on Tuesday, don't you have training then? Till late evening?"

"You're right. I do. But..." Kageyama struggled with words, "if it's important for you, we can try to figure something out."

Reina's heart almost stopped. However, she knew that 24th was impossible. "I wish, but I've told you I'm leaving on the 23rd."

"Right, I remember."

"But what about the weekend? It's your birthday, after all. We can go out then." Now that Kageyama was willing to go on a date with her, even if just out of peer pressure, Reina wouldn't give up so easily.

"Ok. But I have training on weekends as well. It'll be afternoon when I finish."

"It's fine. Actually, it fits perfectly. There is a Christmas parade and Illumination Show on Sunday evening in the city. If we meet at the station and catch the train, we should get there on time. And then we can go somewhere to eat. There is that one place I wanted to check out. Miyako's been there, and she said the prices are low, but the food is delish!" Reina was getting excited. As if she had the whole date planned and ready on standby.

"Sure... let's do that." Kageyama marveled at Reina's face. It was the first time he had seen her so happy.