29 | turn me up

Rowan 

I clipped my seatbelt. 

Then, I watched Kyle trip over something outside the car and practically faceplant on the window. He peeled himself off the car, opened the door, and dropped into the passenger seat. Tommy had just barely moved the bags that had originally occupied the seat. 

I realized it had to be our food because there was a delicious smell within the car and it made my stomach growl hungrily. Charly got into the seat across from me and then leaned her head against the cool glass. 

Tommy pulled away from the curb and drove back in the direction of the highway. I cast a glance at Charly, she just shrugged. None of us said anything right away. 

"Are you?" Kyle asked out of nowhere, facing Tommy. 

"What?" Tommy said. 

Kyle snickered, "Are you gonna kill us?"  

"Probably," Tommy replied, "Why are you laughing?" 

Kyle shrugged before he eagerly dug into the plastic bags that were practically resting on his lap. Abruptly, he exclaimed, "Burger King!" He narrowed his eyes on Tommy, "You bought cheap food?" 

"Are you seriously complaining right now?" Tommy asked, incredulously, "We don't have heaps of money. Be happy with what you have, jesus christ."

"I have a shit ton of money!" Kyle laughed, his eyes drawn to something outside the car and then he was pointing aggressively, "Look! There's an expensive restaurant, pull over! We can have a really nice dinner."

"Kyle, you realize two people are wanted in this car?" Tommy said, bluntly. 

"How do you know that?" Charly asked, and Kyle's head whipped towards Tommy so fast, I figured he had gotten whiplash at that moment. 

"They broadcasted it on the radio news station, too," Tommy explained firmly, "It's not good." 

"Well shit," Kyle said, and then perked up as he opened the Burger King bags, "Oh! You got chicken nuggets!" 

"Chicken nuggets!" Charly echoed, in a higher pitch, and then she was sliding forward in her seat, "Why the fuck does he get all the good stuff? Give me some, fat bitch!" 

"Ahhh--" Kyle cried out, "NO!" He tried pulling the bags away from Charly's grabbing hands, "Back off, you fucking savage!"

Tommy finally met my eyes in the rearview mirror, as if he was finally understanding why Kyle was acting so out of character, "How much did you guys have to drink at that bar?"

I shrugged my shoulders, "I didn't drink anything but these two were doing shots when I came out of the bathroom. I have no idea how much they've had," Then, I paused, "Wait, how did you know we went to a bar?" 

"I saw police outside a bar and people getting taken out in handcuffs, I expected it to be one of you," Tommy explained, "But then I figured you guys had been involved because trouble has a habit of following you everywhere." 

"Kyle!" Charly hollered in frustration and her body was basically on top of the center console, trying to reach whatever Kyle was holding, "Don't you dare eat my fucking chicken nugget! You have your own, shithead!" 

Kyle was laughing, although it sounded like he had taken a bite, and his words were muffled, "But it's so good! Sharing is caring, bitch." 

They were both still slightly intoxicated.