34 | what they've done

Charly 

The heater was on full blast. 

We had climbed back in the car with soaked clothes and pale lips. Not only was it pouring rain but the rain was cool and it chilled my skin. Tommy had flipped on the heater and within seconds, hot air was rushing through the car. 

I breathed a sigh of relief until I realized it wasn't enough. I was still chilled. 

I grabbed my blanket, which had ended up on the center console, and I began wrapping it around my shoulders. I didn't care that I was wet and the blanket would inevitably be soaked, I just wanted to feel some warmth. 

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Rowan's frame slightly shiver. 

Without even thinking, I opened the blanket and draped the side of it around his shoulders. He blinked at me in surprise before he slowly gripped the blanket and situated it around himself. 

"Thanks," He murmured quietly, shifting a little closer so we could wrap the blanket completely around ourselves. Rowan was close enough I could almost feel his body heat, and I found myself with the urge to lean closer. 

I shivered again. 

After a moment, he hesitantly reached out and set his arm across my shoulders. He paused there, probably gauging my reaction, and then he tightened his arm around me. I let myself fall into his body heat, my cheek came to rest right above his collarbone.

I could hear his strong heartbeat.

We both simultaneously sighed, tugging the blanket tighter. 

It was as if we hadn't expected the other to accept the proximity. I seriously wasn't even sure what to expect at this point. Rowan and Kyle weren't like I remembered them. 

They weren't the same people I had told myself I hated all these years. 

Rowan's body heat flooded through me and I felt the tips of my toes warming. I had never really been so close to someone like this. 

I had been taught over and over again that people couldn't be trusted. I had been forced to protect myself before someone could even try to hurt me because it was the only way I knew how to survive. 

All of that was changing. 

I tipped my head back slightly, and I glanced at Rowan's jawline because it was the closest thing in my vision. His muscles were relaxed and his adam's apple bobbed when he swallowed. I found myself relaxing from his calm energy. He was my older brother. 

My eyes flickered to Kyle. 

They both were. 

I didn't need to keep them out. 

"What was the money for?" I asked without realizing I had spoken. It had just crossed my mind as I processed what had happened a few minutes ago.

"I have medical debt," Kyle replied, "It was for that, I promise." 

"I believe you," I uttered.

"Why did we leave the highway?" Rowan asked, his attention directed to Tommy. I wanted to know that as well and my eyes drifted to Tommy. 

"The police knew we were on the highway so they were performing traffic stops, we wouldn't have been able to get through," Tommy explained, his eyes focused on the rained washed road ahead of us, "I figured traveling the country roads would give us a good chance to get off their radar."