41 | burning hope

Rowan 

I wasn't going to question anything. 

If Rue was going to help us, after we helped her, then I was going to burn down this house with the utmost expertise. I didn't care that Rue was technically a stranger to us, she seemed chill. 

And we could use all the help we could get. 

Charly had abruptly left the kitchen and Kyle followed after her. Tommy watched them leave with a furrowed brow until he turned his attention back to me. 

"What's your plan?" He asked. 

I looked at Rue, "Are there fire extinguishers here?" 

She nodded eagerly, "Yes, there's two. One upstairs and one downstairs." 

"Good," I said and then asked, "Anyone that should be watching over the house while they're away? Neighbors?" 

Again, she nodded. "Yes, there are neighbors just a mile down the road. I'm pretty sure they were going to watch the house, which is why I snuck in at night." 

In the midst of her talking, Charly and Kyle had come back into the kitchen. Charly looked less pale and Kyle had a calm expression on his face. I only assessed them quickly before I turned my attention back to Rue. 

"Okay, we will need to empty the extinguishers and leave them scattered around," I explained, "We need to wet towels, clothes, anything that makes it look like someone tried to fight the fire. Even if your parents weren't here, it will look better legally for insurance." 

"It won't be suspicious if they question the neighbors?" Rue asked with narrowed eyes. 

"If you must, you can pay them a visit on your way out," I shrugged, "That's your problem. You just asked for us to help you burn down the house, nothing more." 

Rue stared at me for a moment before she smirked, "You're right, I'll figure it out." 

"Where's your fuse box?" I asked. 

"Fuse box?" Rue echoed. 

I rolled my eyes, "Yeah, the electrical box. An electrical fire is part of a malfunction and will be hard to prove if it was tampered with." 

"Oh, it's downstairs," She replied. 

I turned to my siblings, "I'll go downstairs with Rue and start the fire. It might take off quickly," I winced as I remembered how fast the high school had caught on fire and it wasn't even electrical, "Get the fire extinguishers and towels, and scatter them around but then stay by the door. If you need to get out, go." 

Kyle and Charly nodded. 

Tommy eyed me, "You've done this before? You won't be trapped down there if things go wrong?" 

"Yeah," I lied right through my teeth. Electrical fires were dangerous. "It will be fine." I turned back to Rue, "Do you have a flashlight? The power will go out and I need to be able to see what I'm doing." 

Rue didn't answer. She turned around, stood on her tiptoes in front of the refrigerator, and she dug around on top until she pulled a flashlight out of the dust pile that had collected there. She flicked it on and then looked up at me. 

"Okay," I nodded, "Let's do this." 

Our time was running low. 

"Fire extinguishers are behind the couch in the living room and at the bottom of the stairs," She told my siblings before she led the way out of the kitchen and I followed her.