Chapter 8

Emma woke up early and left for the kitchen to help. But Mrs. Dennis protested that the Lady of the house had no business in the kitchen and ushered her to the sitting room.

'His Grace prefers coffee in the morning. Shall I serve you coffee as well?' asked Mrs. Dennis.

Coffee was expensive compared to tea and personally, Emma preferred tea. Lord Advent walked in, Mrs. Dennis served him coffee.

'Cleaning of the Duchess' room will be completed today, Your Grace. Shall we redecorate the room to the Duchess' liking?' enquired Mrs. Dennis.

Lord Advent nodded in agreement.

Amelia walked in; she didn't acknowledge either of them, sat down and took her coffee. Emma got the impression that Amelia could starve for weeks, but never stay away from coffee.

'We should host a ball and introduce the Duchess,' said Mrs. Dennis timidly, eyeing Amelia nervously.

'Yes, take care of all the arrangements,' said Lord Advent.

'-and her training,' Mrs. Dennis was eyeing Emma now.

Emma gave her a warm smile, she likes a busy life and didn't mind training.

'Do you know French or German?'

Before Emma could answer Lord Advent said, 'She speaks perfect French, German, Russian, Italian and Spanish.'

Emma didn't know how Lord Advent knew it. She never told him that. She blushed and said, 'It's been years, I will need a little brush-up. But how do you know, Your Grace?'

'I helped you settle down in London years back, I remember you speaking many languages.'

'I... I can't remember.'

Emma's parents had lived in many countries. Neville commandeered a merchant ship and his family always accompanied him. When she was fifteen, her parents made her leave for London. That was the last time she saw them. She lived in Liverpool for a year before moving in with her grandfather.

Lord Advent was reminded of Neville Zennor. Neville was his Second Lieutenant while he served in the Royal Navy. After Lord Advent inherited the title, he didn't see much of Neville. They had occasional correspondence until one day Lord Advent received an urgent request from Neville, requesting to take his daughter to London from Spain.

Amelia said, 'You must have been in your leading strings, that's why you don't remember.'

Lord Advent scowled. Emma smiled as though she enjoyed Amelia's joke.

'I remember now. You told me you were a Duke and I asked you to-' she blushed. She had asked him to marry her and had proceeded to explain her various achievements and attributes.

Lord Advent chuckled and said, 'You asked me to marry you.'

Amelia snorted. Mrs. Dennis intervened before a full-fledged fight could break out.

'I will have Amy's governess help the Duchess.'

'How good is your dancing?' asked Mrs. Dennis.

'I have been taught, but I haven't danced in a while.'

Emma proceeded to the nursery to take her lessons. Amy's governess made her read some scripts in French. Amy kept giving Emma furtive glances.

'Amy, I don't know how to read this. Can you help me?' Emma asked, just to get Amy talking.

Amy helped her and with a few more compliments she opened to Emma.

'You don't seem like an evil stepmother.'

Emma laughed and said, 'No, I am not evil.'

They went to lunch together. Amelia was not happy with the sight of Amy beside Emma.

'Amelia, she is not evil. I like her.'

Rest of the week was a blur. Emma went shopping with Mrs. Dennis most of the days. She was excited to see more of London, it was just as she imagined; noisy, busy and she loved it.