Chapter 20

'Where are we going?' Emma asked.

They left Brentwood more than two hours ago. They should have reached London by now. Yet, she could still see the countryside and green fields.

Lord Advent just made a contented noise from the back of his throat and nuzzled against her neck.

Emma was sitting on his lap; her head resting on his powerful shoulders. When she climbed in the carriage, Lord Advent pulled her onto his lap. She tried to reason it would be uncomfortable for him, but he kissed her, shutting her up effectively.

'Lord Advent?'

He bit her ear lobe, making her squeak, 'Nicholas!'

Chuckling he said, 'It's better, isn't it?'

'Nicholas!' she complained in a whisper.

'I like it when you scream my name.'

She covered her face feeling shy by his dirty talk.

'Is my little wife feeling shy?' he said, pulling her hands away. Seeing her beet-red face he chuckled before giving her a deep kiss.

'We are going to Basingstoke, I think.'

'Basingstoke? Do you have business there?'

'You could say that.'

'But I don't have any proper clothes. Everything I brought is extravagant and not suitable for social calls or daily use.'

'Don't worry, it won't be a problem.'

'How long will we be staying there?'

'Three days, uh... a week, maybe ten days or a fortnight?' he finished questioningly.

'That long? Your work here must be difficult and tiresome,' Emma said sympathetically.

'Not difficult, just demanding. I have been putting it off for a long time.'

'It must not be pleasant.'

'No, I enjoy doing it, really.'

'I will make sure not to disturb you.'

'On the contrary, I thought you could assist me.'

'Of course, anything you want.'

'Anything I want!' he pretended to contemplate before attacking her with tickles.

Mr. Rame had worked for Lord Advent for more than twelve years. He started at the age of eighteen. But never during his career had Lord Advent given a wage instruction or looked so flushed.

'Rame, book a suite in an inn where I am not known.'

Rame hid his confusion as he asked, 'Shall I check here in Brentwood?'

'No no, not here in Brentwood, not in London too. Somewhere far away from London, but not too far. Far from Brentwood and Watford as well.'

'Would Basingstoke do, Your Grace?'