Chapter 32

'Sir Morval!'

'Sir... It's been a while since anyone addressed me as Sir'. Didn't you know I was stripped of my title?' asked Morval angrily.

'I am sorry,' Emma said, desperately calculating their chances of escape.

'You should be, as it was your fault. But it's fine. No, it's more than fine now. I just wanted to kill you. But look at you looking like a temptress. And what's more, his daughter. This revenge is sweeter than I expected.'

'Please leave her, your enmity is with me, not her,' Emma pleaded.

'Oh no! I want the man who made me suffer, suffer double folds. Now shut up or I am shooting her now.'

He produced a handcuff out of his pocket.

'Sugar, I got only one of these. If only I had known you would be waiting for me,' he said as he handed the handcuff to Amelia and made them cuff each other's hands together.

'Now be a pet and walk to the carriage without fuss. I wouldn't hesitate to put a bullet in your head if you do anything stupid.'

They were in the middle of the field with no living soul in sight. No tree or even scrubs to take cover. If they ran, they would be easy targets. Seeing no choice, they walked to the carriage and climbed in. He attached another chain from the railing to the handcuffs, preventing them from escaping.

They reached a rundown mansion. Morval got down and undid the chain connected to the handcuffs. Pointing the gun firmly at Amelia's head, he made them both walk ahead of him.

Another man stood waiting for them. Emma thought the new man looked familiar.

'Why have you brought her along? He just sent you for one,' said the stranger sternly.

'Trust me, Riley. He would be pleased I got two instead of one.'

Riley looked like he doubted it, but he didn't voice it. The door opened and Mr. Robert Advent walked out.

'Robert!' said Amelia in surprise.

'Idiot, what have you done? I told you to kidnap Emma, why did you bring her along?' scolded Mr. Robert Advent.

'Robert, what is the meaning of this? I thought we were friends. And why are you in league with this clown?' asked Amelia.

'Amelia, I am sorry to have put you through this. We are friends and I never meant any harm to you. Riley, untie her,' he directed.

'What are you doing? You agreed on my revenge,' Morval hissed in frustration.

'You can do whatever you want with Emma, Amelia was never part of the deal.'

'What deal?'

'He and Emma have some unfinished business before your father butted in and married her.'

'So you plan on killing her?' asked Amelia as though she was commenting on the weather.

'Yes, I know you want to be rid of her as well.'

'But why? She didn't do you any harm.'

'Amelia, you yourself said how you couldn't stand their lovey-dovey act. If she gives birth to a son, I lose my chance of inheriting the dukedom.'

'You can't be sure about that, my mother gave birth to daughters. Why kill her now when she is not even pregnant?'

'Do you want to let that happen and if she gives birth to a son, see her defeat your mother's memories in all ways?'

Amelia's eyes flashed.

'See, you agree with me. She is a risk I am not willing to take.'

Emma stood listening in fear as they discussed her fate.

'If anyone is going to kill her today it should be me. I owe my mother that much,' said Amelia.

There was steel in Amelia's eye, that even Morval didn't object when she took the gun from his hand. Amelia pointed it at Emma.

Emma closed her eyes and thought of Nicholas, his lips on hers. She regretted not holding Nicholas. She had spent most of their time together, in avoiding him. If she could go back in time, she wished she had held him and told him, her life was meaningless without him too.

Amelia pulled the trigger.

AN: sorry no double updates today.