Chapter 9

AN: Triple updates today. Enjoy

The ball night arrived. Mary applied makeup while Emma chatted with Amy and Amanda. Amy bonded with Emma, Amanda too. Amelia alone still gave Emma surly looks and insulting comments now and then. Emma didn't mind.

'What toppings did your wedding cake have?' Amy asked.

'We didn't have a wedding cake, Amy.'

Amy gasped in horror, 'What! You didn't have cake? How can there be a wedding without cake?'

'There will be a cake tonight,' said Mrs. Dennis patronizingly.

Amanda and Amy walked her to the ballroom. She was to meet Lord Advent at the entrance. She blushed seeing him. He offered his hands which she took shyly. Though he looked unperturbed, his clenched fist and stiff back revealed he was far from unmoved.

Emma was wearing a rather frilly pink dress. The cut being far too low to her liking, somehow made her breasts look even bigger. A small strand of hair was artfully curled to lie in the front emphasizing her neckline.

They opened the ball with a dance.

'You look beautiful,' said Lord Advent as they waltzed.

She looked up and met his eyes, his blue-grey eyes were enchanting 'Your eyes are very beautiful,' she found herself blurting.

He chuckled. They swirled and Emma lost her balance, but he caught her. The action brought them closer.

'Please call me Emma.' She trailed off, not mustering the courage to continue.

'-but that is not all you want to tell?' he prompted.

Emma bent her head down, not ready to speak.

'Look at me,' he commanded.

She shook her head. They swirled again, this time he pulled her closer, holding her closer than it was appropriate in public. Emma's stomach twisted deliciously.

'Emma, look at me.'

She did, his eyes had the same effect on her and she said, 'I am Mrs. Advent, not Miss. Zennor.'

His eyes were blazing as he said, 'Yes, you are.'

The music stopped but they were in their own world. The applauding gathering brought them back.

'Emma, meet Duke Winston Paulen.' Lord Advent introduced. Emma curtsied, he was a large and gruff looking man, but he had a very kind smile.

'-and his son Earl Marcus Paulen.' He had a devil-may-care charm about him. Emma noticed Amelia eyeing him with interest.

'Congratulations on finding such a lovely wife,' Lord Marcus Paulen said and winked at Amelia who actually giggled.

'You should get married too,' said Lord Advent to Lord Marcus.

'-and that is my cue to offer the lovely lady a dance,' saying he offered his hands and led Emma to the dance floor.

'It's good to see Lord Advent happy, after Lady Elana he has avoided balls,'

'He must miss her.'

'Oh! I think he was just avoiding all prospects.'

'He is rather like you in avoiding, I guess,' Emma said jokingly.

'You wound me, oh! How you wound me.'

Lord Marcus Paulen was easy to talk to. He was a flirt. When the dance ended Lord Marcus walked her back.

'Antony, I didn't know you were coming.'

Turning to Emma he said 'Lady Advent, meet Mr. Antony Bennet.'

'Mr. Bennet,' she greeted, while he kissed her gloved hand.

Lord Marcus introduced Emma to his mother Lady Martha Paulen, who was eyeing Antony disapprovingly.

'May I have this dance, my Lady?'

Emma turned to find a stranger. Lord Advent smiled saying, 'Lady Emma, meet Mr. Robert Advent.'

Mr. Robert took Emma's gloved hand and kissed it. She felt extremely uncomfortable around him. He led her to the dance floor. He didn't do anything inappropriate, but the way he stared at her, made her skin crawl. Mercifully the song was short. She excused herself and fled to the Ladies' room.

When she came back, Mr. Robert was standing with Lord Advent who was in a silent argument with Amelia. Mr. Robert gave a smile that was more of a sneer when Lord Advent was not looking. Emma felt extremely uncomfortable standing next to him.

Emma noticed Mr. Bennet's eyes narrow slightly as he watched Mr. Robert eyeing her like a snack. Lord Marcus playfully elbowed Mr. Bennet making him lose his grip on his cake plate. Smack! Mr. Robert's pants were covered with cream.

'I am so sorry, I didn't see you there,' apologized Lord Marcus Paulen.

Mr. Robert grumbled and left. Emma was sure Mr. Bennet was holding his plate on the other side and changed hands just before the fall.

Lord Advent had promised her two dances that night. Her stomach was full of butterflies as he led to the dance floor. Rather, this time he seemed distant.