THIRTY-SEVEN

PEARL

For the past few days, every step I made was shadowed by silent, unnerving Enuki servants who bowed whenever I walked into a room. Two guarded my door, and it was unsettling.

I could leave my room, but not go outside; not until Dumuzi felt it was safe enough to do so. As terrified as I was about the prospect of Ona being out of prison, he didn't have to tell me twice. I never saw the Eddu, the other aliens that were supposed to be here.

Probably because Dumuzi said that they were invisible unless they wanted to be seen. They were in the skies, watching over the palace.

Dumuzi was absent every day. But sometimes, I awoke to find his lips on my forehead and fingers skimming my stomach. I was always too groggy to talk to him, to ask him to stay.

I missed him. I knew he was busy because of what happened, but this was getting ridiculous. It was clear he wasn't leaving the council. The more time he spent away from me, the more antsy I got.

The guards never spoke to me or answered any of my questions.

Yesterday, I left my room, but quickly retreated to safety when sounds of agony came from somewhere upstairs. Dumuzi had told me one of his men had gotten hurt when Ona escaped. I hadn't seen Ogrik since the entire ordeal, so I could only guess that he was upstairs tending to him.

The thought made me sick. Whatever injury it was, it must have been serious.

Thankfully, I wasn't totally alone with myself. François came to see me every day, keeping me updated. Because of the Eddu being here, we were well-guarded. I had asked her how they were invisible, and she practically said:

Long conversation about dimensions. Shadrach might dumb it down for you in an easier way. It is very hard to explain.

I thought that was weird, but whatever.

Since things were calming down, why hadn't Dumuzi come to see me?

"Screw it," I grumbled, and pulled open the heavy wood door. I stared into the side of one of the Enuki guards, clearing my throat. "Where is Dumuzi?"

One inclined their head in my direction. Biting my lip, I slid through the gap in the door.

"Take me to him?" I asked.

They exchanged glances. That probably wasn't in their orders, but I would not back down. He had spent too much time away from me; I knew he had a lot to do, but the least he could do was not show up while I was unconscious.

"Fine, then I will go find him myself."

Hands balled, hair ratted, and sweaty, I stomped down the hallway, knowing they couldn't touch me unless I was in danger. In their culture, touching a pregnant woman that wasn't yours was a serious offense. Dumuzi had told me about this.

Maybe I could use that to my advantage.

A guard blocked my path, gazing down at me with steely grey eyes. His skin glowed in the moonlight filtering in through the tall planes of glass, and his silver, shiny cloak brushed the floor. The guards were shorter than the council and not as built with muscle, but they were still imposing. "Counselman Dumuzi is busy with personal affairs. He cannot be disturbed. Please return to your room."

I frowned, shifting uneasily at his dead tone. "Where is he? I think he can spare a few minutes."

I was probably being idiotic right now because I knew Dumuzi was dealing with important things. Not only that, but I did not know where he could be. There were too many doors, too many floors in this place.