Introduction

Here is the introduction to the third of my eight projects for ONC this year.

What prompt did I use?

I'm using prompt eighty-four. "Word has it that antique mirrors are the doors to another realm. When curiosity compels you to take a closer look at the giant mirror in the Attic, you find yourself being dragged inside it. Leaving you trapped in an alternate universe."

What fandom are you writing for?

Harry Potter

What do the readers not familiar with the fandom need to know?

I think most people will be familiar with the Harry Potter fandom to some degree, but one thing I've discovered even fans of the series are familiar with is Regulus Black, who I've talked to outside of my Regulus Black Lives stories. Regulus is the younger brother of Sirius Black. What little we know of him is that he was a Death Eater, he took the mark a year before he died and he turned on Voldemort because of a House Elf while being the first to figure out Voldemort created Horocrux and make an attempt to destroy the one he was aware of.

I've also come to love writing Regulus Black lives stories, working with personal headcanon of Regulus being on the spectrum and also him being the biological father of Hermione.

What is the inspiration for the story?

So, this is also a Froday Flash Fiction Challenge story on top of being a ONC project and the theme for the current Froday Madness is in fact characters live, so this was an idea bouncing around in my head for a bit before ONC started, but part of it started because I was wondering how to do Fanworks with HP as magic does interfere with tech and suddenly I came up with an AU idea and then I saw the prompt and went - that's how Hermione gets to the other world. Done.

How did I incorporate the prompt?

For this story, the prompt is the catalyst that leads to Hermione Granger (Harry Potter) falling into an Alternative Universe where the timeline is set ahead by thirty years, but the world she encounters is a world where the magical community actually utilizes wizarding tech and her mother is a single parent, her father nowhere in sight while Regulus Black is very much alive in this world.

Yet, this Hermione also comes from an Alternative Universe as I'm working with an alternative universe headcanon of Regulus actually being her biological father and that he is Mr. Granger, memories erased, thought to be dead by the family because he did in fact briefly die right before someone erased his memories so that he could live as a Muggle, safe from the war and Voldemort, though this story won't go into who originally erased her memories.

And, Hermione ends up in this world despite Luna warning her about antique mirrors as there is no way her Muggle parents would have a Muggle object and in this world, she has to deal with wondering whether what she learns in the world is true or not along with her guilt for having erased her parents' memories to keep them safe.

Word Count

Chapter 1 - 1,354
Chapter 2 - 2,830
Chapter 3 - 4,153
Chapter 4 - 5,378
Chapter 5 - 7,190
Chapter 6 - 8,329
Chapter 7 - 9,825
Chapter 8 - 11,150
Chapter 9 - 12,581 (was chapter eight)
Chapter 10 - 13,944
Chapter 11 - 15,274
Chapter 12 - 16,871 (was chapter eleven)
Chapter 13 - 18,392
Chapter 14 - 20,156
Chapter 15 - 21,931
Chapter 16 - 23,389
Chapter 17 - 24,948
Chapter 18 - 26,372
Chapter 19 - 27,694 (was chapter eighteen)
Chapter 20 - 29,418
Chapter 21 - 31,124
Chapter 22 - 32,069 fin