Oddity

It was cruel, or at least it felt cruel.

Although Regulus didn't really think about how it felt the moment it happened, that a student brought up Inferi. It didn't register in his mind who it was, not until he'd found himself in the Inferi, treated to a hot chocolate to calm his nerves, but thinking back, it certainly wasn't a pleasant experience.

"I might have caused her trouble, albeit unintentionally." Regulus pulled an arm over his forehead, frowning, thinking about what was being said when he went into a complete meltdown simply because he was mentally unprepared for one of the students bringing up Inferi, his least favorite of the Dark Creatures, and for a good reason. "This is why I was placed into the care of a guardian, episodes like these."

He stared up at the ceiling, his eyes narrowed.

"That certainly wasn't the first impression I wanted to leave on everyone," Regulus muttered.

"On your new students?"

Regulus pulled his arm back, his gray eyes widening upon hearing the familiar voice, before pushing himself off the bed onto his elbows. He tilted his head, so locks of black hair almost fell into his eyes. "Gideon?"

"I'm the one who came to check up on you while Fabien runs both of our classes with the help of a perfect."

Regulus' mouth twisted up. "And of my class?"

"They've been assigned to the library for the day, under McGonagall's orders," Gideon said. "I heard from her that one of the students brought up Inferi, which is why you ended up like this."

"I wasn't mentally prepared for that," Regulus said, pulling himself up further into a sitting position, pulling himself towards the head of the bed so he was propped correctly up. "But it was definitely a whammy." He flexed his fingers, looking at them. "Definitely not expected."

"Well, Fabian and I aren't fond of them either, although you have even more reason. I think, given the fact had you not contacted us, you would have tried tackling in on your own and been pulled down into that lake by them. And sometimes, I don't think we should have let you drink the potion either."

"Well, you did tell me not to do anything on my own, and because of that, I didn't feel like I was alone," Regulus said. "You and Fabian were always kind to me when I was growing up, never treating me like a nuisance even though I'm sure I was one."

"No. Never. You were always such a curious little thing, and you've always made Uncle Iggy and Aunt Lu smile. You still do, but you're..."

"I wonder," Regulus said, interrupting Gideon from saying he was the closest thing to their aunt and uncle having their own child. He looked away from him, not wanting to give anything away. "I wonder if that would be the case if they knew."

"Knew? If they knew what?" Gideon pulled his chair closer. "Reg. You're trying to avoid telling me something."

To which Regulus pressed his mouth together, his fingers tightening on the sheets underneath him on the bed. And then he felt his face start heating up. "I have a daughter."

"Woah! Woah! That's not something you drop like that!" Gideon waved his hand. "And what you say makes absolutely no sense at all? I mean..."

"It would make sense if you were hearing this from Sirius?" Regulus said, still looking away, his cheeks heating up. "I'm aware of that."

"Good grief. I didn't mean to be a jerk like that," Gideon said.

"Please don't tell Siri. He'll never let me live it down."

"I'm sure he'll get used to being an uncle."

"Her mother is a Muggle."

To which—