CHAPTER - 22 Fate Works in Mysterious Ways

As Gu Tong's display continued, Zhan Yu watched, shaking his head. This girl (Gu Tong) could never imagine how heartless Lu Bai was. It would be for the best if Gu Tong kept her distance from Lu Bai too.

Soon after, A College was on break. Zhan Yu never once thought of going back to Shengjin City. Alongside dance and piano, he signed up for English and French classes. The English classes were easy since he was quite good, to begin with, unlike French, where he had next to no experience. He made absolutely no plans to return home during the break, and he made a series of study plans that he kept a secret from the rest of his family.

As expected, once they found out, each family member rejected them completely. It was only because they didn't want him to endure such hardship. He finally understood why the novel's supporting male (villain) failed so badly. The most fundamental reason was, most likely, because his family spoiled him rotten. Zhan Yu actually wanted to live the relaxed life of a son born into a wealthy familyーthe kind that never did any chores, and only waited to be fed. However, whenever he remembered the unforgettable ending to his (villain) story, he was deterred from relaxing. He had to accomplish something that would be considered remarkable after graduation! It would be to his advantage that his family didn't collapse since it would only serve to pile onto his own troubles. Even if it were inevitable for his family would fall apart, if he had a job, he could at least take care of himself.

Zhan Yu mulled over his predicament. "If you lean against a mountain, it will eventually fall. So if you rely on other people, they'll do the same to you. I need to work hard and rely on myself," he thought. He was still young, so enduring a bit more stress and working a bit harder wouldn't kill him. On the other hand, his parents relentlessly tried to dissuade him; even Zhan Qiancheng disagreed. "If you want to learn those things, I can find you the best teachers in each field as long as you come home. It's simply improper for you to refuse to return for such a long break!"

"Tch! You know I don't want to go back."

"So are you planning to stay there for the rest of your life?"

"Not necessarily, but I'll see how it goes. Just let me do this! I've already made up my mind, and I'm accustomed to my new teacher's approach. Help me just one more time, and I promise I will visit them when I have the time!"

"Enough nonsense. You're coming back!"

"I'm not. If you keep trying to talk me out of it, I won't talk to you for a month after I arrive at home."

"Do you honestly think you can threaten me with that?" Zhan Qiancheng didn't fall for his trap. Zhan Yu decided to act even more shamelessly. "Then I'll cry in front of mom every single day."

"You..." Zhan Qiancheng couldn't find the words to express his disbelief. "Are you still a kid?"

"No. That's why I want to make my own decisions and do things that I like. Just leave me be!"

After Zhan Yu's impressive persistence, his family eventually agreed. But they did remind him to take care of his health during his studies, to which Zhan Yu happily agreed. Time spent studying had always flown by quickly, especially now Zhan Yu no longer had time to care about anything else after a long day of school.

Everything was going according to plan, until the end of August when a single phone call forced Zhan Yu to rush back to Shengjin City. Something critical had occurred; he had no choice, but to return immediately. As Zhan Yu listened to the message, he knew it was grave from the tone. He rushed home only to see Bai Ning and immediately knew what the emergency was.

There was a birthday celebration for Lu Bai's grandpa taking place soon, and the Chen (Lu Bai's) family had sent an invitation to the Zhan family. The grandpa's daughter-in-lawーWeng Yinlinーeven went so far as to make an individualized invitation for Zhan Yu, insistently asking him to attend. The moment Zhan Yu saw Weng Yinlin's name positioned right by his on the golden invitation, a panicked torrent of thoughts rushed through his mind.