Veinte ~ 20

Sequence always feels like dragon scales under my fingertips.

Not that I’ve ever touched one. But I’m guessing it’s a rather close comparison — which is perfect for the vixen whose hips are currently in my grasp. We groove to the music as Sofi Tucker transports us into another dimension, and like the dancing monkey I’ve become, Jocelyn takes the lead while rolling her waist. It’s different than when I danced with Angie at Bruno's. On that night, we were on an even playing field, but here with this woman, I know it’s more than just a dance. 

It’s a power move. 

“So, Miguel.” She looks me dead in the eyes with a mischievous edge to hers. And fuck, this woman is beautiful. Even her scent is sexy. I bet when she wakes up, birds sing praises while peering through her window. “You have a past.”

“Digging up dirt on me?” 

“We look into everyone, and I’m concerned about your temper.”

“It’s under control. I have a therapist,” I say.

“I’m not talking about your ex's restraining order against you. I’m talking about your stepfather.”

“What about him?” I grit my teeth, and Jocelyn smirks, her fingers squeezing my shoulders.

“You’re tensing up, honey,” she says.

“I just prefer getting to the point instead of dancing around.”

“Noted.” She arches a brow and brings our grinding to a complete stop. The bodyguards encircling us take a step back, forcing other dancers to widen their circumference. “Your temper concerns me because we can’t have loose canons. Not when it comes to this matter. When we move chess pieces, it needs to be clean. Otherwise, people question our judgment and lose trust. We can’t have that.”

“Ok, so why indulge us when you could have your gorilla do this for you?” 

“Kay?” she snorts. “Because he’s an asset. I'm not sacrificing him.”

“Right. If shit hits the fan, us amateur nobodies can take the fall.”

“Not exactly.”

“Then what is it? Why are you wasting your time with us?”

“Because no one else had the balls to ask us about removing Richie from power.”

“Fair. But why are we discussing this here, away from your sister?” I ask.

“Because Augusta has concerns with Angie, so they’re having their own little chit-chat.” She nods towards the balcony. “And I need you to convince me we can trust you.” 

“I don’t give a single fuck if you trust me,” I throw my head back in a laugh, but Jocelyn grabs me by the neck and yanks my face inches from hers. The bodyguards scoot forward, ready to pounce, but she raises her hand, freezing them in their tracks.

Holy shit. 

Right when I thought she couldn’t be any more scalding hot, she pulls a move like this. She’s an aggressive little thing, and I like it! Being nose-to-nose is giving me a chub. 

“You do realize all I have to do is snap my fingers, and Kay’s men will snap your neck, right?” Jocelyn hisses.

“I think I can handle them.”

“You have much to learn about the world you’re living in. Do you think the choices you make daily belong to you? They belong to us.” She releases my neck with a shove and a tisk of disgust, sending my balls immediately back inside me.