4

WHEN HAROLD came out of Marilyn's office, with a scowl as though he'd been called to the principal's office, everyone looked at him with pitiful eyes. As for Jessie, to her, he'd gotten what he deserved. And his actions had given her inspiration to use to her own advantage, "Miss Nightingale."

For a moment, Jessie expected Marilyn's voice, since she'd been the only one to address her that way at the practice. But when Jessie saw another woman walking over to her, her brows furrowed, "I'm not sure we've met," Jessie took the strange woman's hand in a handshake.

"Gina Siller. It's a pleasure to meet you," Gina couldn't believe that she was standing in front of Jessie Nightingale.

"Likewise. I'm guessing that Doctor Isles has told you about me."

Gina pressed her lips together, "not that I recall. I'm not sure that she's a fan of yours."

Jessie gulped. She should've expected at least someone to recognize her, who would've thought that it would be Marilyn's wife, "oh yes, very unlikely that she is," Jessie said.

Gina sensed something off about Jessie, but couldn't quite put a finger on it, "how do you know my wife?" Gina asked. Jessie didn't know how to answer. Gina would've thought that she'd gone insane.

"Well, I'm—"

"Jessie's my assistant," Marilyn wrapped her arm around Gina's upper back, and placed a kiss on her cheek.

"Really now?" Gina was confused. Why would Jessie Nightingale be Marilyn's assistant?

"She's been putting up with me quite well."

Jessie smiled and clasped her hands in front of her body, "I see. I'm just wondering why she is," Gina mumbled.

Marilyn wasn't sure what Gina was hinting at, "let's take a seat, shall we?" Marilyn suggested.

They grabbed fold-up chairs, and set them up beside Jessie's desk, "I probably should head home soon. I have to relieve the sitter for the night," Jessie's jaw twitched, as Gina looked at her with analyzing eyes.

"I didn't know that you're a mom," Marilyn responded.

Jessie smiled, "yes, my babies are everything to me," Jessie grabbed her phone from her desk, and showed Marilyn her screensaver. Marilyn quirked a brow. It was a picture of Jessie with two felines.

"So, you meant a cat sitter."

Jessie nodded, "yes, closest thing I have to kids," Jessie became uneasy. Gina placed her hand on her wife's thigh, and leaned forward.

"So, if I may ask, why be a personal assistant?" Gina spoke.

Marilyn looked at Gina, "I've asked her that question before," Marilyn said.

"Oh really?" Gina stroked Marilyn's hair with the tips of her fingers, "so you know that she's the Jessie Nightingale?"

Marilyn became perplexed, "I'm not sure what you're trying to say."

Jessie braced herself, "When Women Fought. It's my favorite book," Gina said. Marilyn remembered the title. Gina had spent many nights awake trying to finish that book for weeks, "you're certainly my favorite writer, Miss Nightingale."

Then, it all clicked.

JESSIE WASN'T particularly thrilled that Marilyn had found out that she was a writer. On Monday, she headed into Marilyn's office with a letter of resignation in her hand.

Marilyn didn't look up from her desk, nor did she acknowledge Jessie's presence when she'd passed by her desk when she arrived that morning, "Doctor Isles," Jessie placed the letter in front of Marilyn, and stepped back. She didn't want to see those furious eyes looking into hers. Marilyn was upset, for sure.

"Letter of resignation," Marilyn picked it up, and threw it into the trash can next to her desk, "I'm not accepting it. Head back to work."

Jessie was confused, "what?" She ran her hand over her collarbone, as she looked at Marilyn.

"I don't accept your resignation, Miss Nightingale," Marilyn finally looked up, and Jessie was surprised to meet soft eyes.

"Why?" Jessie grabbed the letter from the trash, and clutched it in her hand.

"Because I said so," Marilyn's jaw twitched, and she gripped her pen firmly in her hand.

"I was going to resign in a few weeks anyway. I'm not sure what you're trying to accomplish here," Jessie huffed. What was Marilyn trying to achieve? She crumbled the letter in her hand, and threw it back into the trash can, "I'll be vocal then. I quit," Jessie turned on her heels to storm out of the office, but the sound of Marilyn's voice stopped her.

"Why are you working here?"

"Inspiration for a book."

"Did you get enough?"

Jessie frowned. She hadn't been able to get a single word down, "not quite," Jessie answered and sighed. Being Marilyn's assistant was supposed to get her creative juices flowing, but yet, she was still stuck in a phase of writer's block.

"Then why are you leaving?"

Jessie thought for a moment. Why did Marilyn care? "The idea is ruined. I wanted to be treated like any other person that you'd hire."

"And that's what I've been doing, haven't I?"

Jessie turned back to face Marilyn, "it won't be the same anymore."

Marilyn stood from her desk, and grabbed her purse, "come with me," she grabbed Jessie's hand, and escorted her out of the office.

"Where are you taking me?" Jessie's eyes were searching Marilyn's face frantically.

"Grab your purse. We're going on an adventure."