14

CARRIE TUCKED her sister into bed, and placed a kiss on her forehead. She made sure that Timothy was fast asleep, before sneaking out of the room. Leaning against the wall, she placed her hands over her face. Jessie had told her everything, and she had a feeling that she was the only one who knew. Her sister was never one to confide in anyone when it came to her deep emotions.

Carrie knew that Jessie had lived with regret for years. And everything she did was to be able to be with Lily, once again. Jessie loved Lily more than life itself, just like how Carrie loved her son.

"Honey?" Kevin wrapped his arms around his wife's waist, and placed a kiss on her forehead, "you okay?"

Carrie leaned into his chest, and took a deep breath. His warmth was just what she needed, "you know I love you, right?"

Kevin kissed her shoulder blade, and pulled her closer, "I do. I love you too," he became a bit worried. Looking into her eyes, he caressed her cheek with his fingers, "is everything okay?"

Carrie nodded, "I'm worried for her. I'm not sure if I should leave her alone."

Kevin gave his wife a comforting smile. She'd always been worried for a little sister, "another vacation in the making?" He asked.

Carrie shrugged. She knew that she couldn't get more time off from work, "I wish," she mumbled.

Kevin could see his wife's unease, "what can I do to help?"

Carrie sighed and moved her hand over his biceps. She contemplated for a moment, while continuing to look into his eyes, "I think I need to talk to Mom."

There wasn't much that Carrie could do. She had to take care of her family, and Jessie lived on another continent for the most part of each year, "you think she'd want that?" Kevin asked.

Everyone walked on eggshells when it came to discussing Lily, especially around Jessie and her father, "it's not what she wants anymore, it's what she needs."

JESSIE DIDN'T bother to visit Amelia in Hawaii, and headed straight home. She couldn't handle anymore travelling when she was feeling so nauseous all the time.

When she entered her apartment, she didn't expect to find Marilyn asleep, with the kittens in her arms, on the couch. It made Jessie immediately smile, as she threw her bags down, and placed her hands on her hips. She's so fucking cute.

Jessie sat down, and looked at Marilyn softly snoring for a few minutes. It soothed her nerves, and made her pain simmer for a bit. It was late at night, and Jessie wondered what Gina must've been thinking. For sure, Gina would expect her wife to be home. But Jessie couldn't bring herself to wake Marilyn. She headed into her room, and stripped down to her underwear. Her entire body reeked of cargo and tears. And it definitely wasn't an appealing smell.

Jessie slipped into a bubble bath, and closed her eyes. For once, her mind was empty of all thoughts, and she didn't realize that she'd fallen asleep right there.

When she was awakened by hands, on her shoulders, shaking her body, she was, of course, startled, "Jess?" Marilyn's blue eyes looked into hers with concern. Jessie yawned and looked around, realizing that she was naked, and in the bathtub. Her eyes widened, and she placed her hands over her privates.

Marilyn handed her a towel, and left the bathroom to give her some privacy. Jessie knew that Marilyn probably got more than just a glance at her naked body that time.

When she went in search of Marilyn with the towel wrapped around her body, she found the woman sitting on the couch with her felines, again, "you've gotten attached, I see," Jessie said.

Marilyn looked up and smiled. She'd never known that one could find a satisfying companionship with a pet. It was almost like having a child, minus the intenseness of parenthood, "they're the best," Marilyn admitted, as she got up, stretched her arms and yawned.

"It's late. Does Gina know you're here?" Jessie asked. At the thought of Gina, Marilyn groaned. Jessie's brow knitted in curiosity. There was no denying that their relationship seemed complicated from an outsider's perspective, but Jessie had never questioned it.

"I don't think she'd appreciate knowing where I am," Marilyn bit the inside of her cheek, "I'll leave you to settle in."

Jessie knew that something was bothering Marilyn. Whether it was marital issues or something else, Jessie wouldn't just let Marilyn go home with a heavy mind, "it's too late, and you're tired. Stay over."

Marilyn was surprised by the offer. She hesitated, but wanted to be around Jessie for as long as she could. They'd missed each other, that's for sure.

Jessie chewed on her bottom lip, and waited for a response. She could see the temptation in Marilyn's eyes, and wondered if it was a good or bad thing. She wished that she could lose all of her morals, and fall into those arms, "I wouldn't want to get into a car accident," Marilyn validated a reason that didn't have to do with their feelings for each other.

"Right. Let me get dressed," Jessie headed into her bedroom, and closed the door. She leaned her head against the wall, and tried to calm herself down. The mixture of jetlag, temptation and horniness, all combined, was going to make it a long night to get through.