𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲-𝐬𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐧

❧

When the wolves returned, the sun was just settling into the trees, winding down for the night. Sage heard them before they reached the house, their laughter and chatter echoing through the forest. Something in her settled in as she heard Sam's chortle boom at something Jacob said; it had been too long since he had smiled let alone laughed.

Allison perked up. "Are they back?"

Sage nodded, head tilted to listen to more of the noise. The house was filled to the brim with food for them. Every counter had a casserole or dish on it, a dessert or snack they could eat. Aromas of all sorts were overwhelming Sage's senses, but it was worth it when Seth walked through the door, saw her and said, "Sage cooked! Fuck yeah!"

"Do not presume," she replied, grinning slightly from her spot on the couch.

Sage stared contemplatively at the wolves, wondering if she should move or not, thinking about where she would go should she get up. Allison was in her own chair by the television, knitting something.

"And no cursing!" Allison called, not even glancing up from her project.

"Sorry, Mrs. Uley," Seth replied, mouth stuffed with a muffin that Sage made earlier. He groaned around the bite, sounding utterly pleased. "Wonderful as always, my ladies. Absolutely magnificent."

"You could save some for the rest of us," Leah said, smacking him on the back of the head.

The rest of the wolves piled into the room. Sage's eyes quickly went to Sam's; he was already glancing at her, something complicated flitting across his features before it smoothed out into a tiny smile. One directed at her.

Sage tried her best to return it, but it was thin and wobbly, and she felt as though she were intruding on their moment--the wolves' time together--despite Allison demanding that she stay. Before she could move and make room for them, Paul slammed himself down next to her, hissing when he touched her frigid skin.

"Fucking Christ, Sage!" He glared at her like she was the bane of his existence. "Why are you so cold?!"

Another time, Sage would have run from this, but because it was Paul, and Paul was the bane of her existence, she only raised a brow.

"Paul, I'm sorry if this slipped past your intelligence, but I seem to be. . . undead," she said slowly. She touched her skin, tried to pinch it between her fingers to no avail. "Would you look at that?" She feigned surprise.

Seth snorted into his muffin, reaching for a plate to get some more food. The other wolves who were also grabbing their own plates chuckled lightly. Even Sam's lips twitched, and Sage held onto that even as Paul narrowed his eyes at her.

"Oh, so you think you're some kind of smart ass now," Paul snapped, laughing hollowly.

"You asked a ridiculous question."