𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐫𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧

❧

It's become easier for Sage to forget about the Volturi, about the life she used to live. No longer did she think of the people she murdered or the blood she inhaled for pleasure. Unless Elis brought them up, something he liked to do on any occasion that he could get, Sage could repress the tainted memories she had of Aro, Felix, Jane--everyone. Pressing the seductive whisper of Alec's purr or the charred growl of Aro when she was punished--even Jane's wrath--was simple to her now.

If she had the coven, she didn't need the Volturi. Didn't need to think of them and, in turn, didn't need to resort to their methods of living.

Didn't need to kill.

It was ironic how one person could change that.

How Paul Lahote could change it.

Seth had asked her to accompany him to La Push. He had some errands to run and Carilsle believed that she would be alright to integrate herself amongst the humans now that her eyes were permanently amber and her thirst was under control. And Sage couldn't refuse, especially when Seth gave her the eyes. Not even Edward could resist the starry gaze that filtered over Seth's eyes when he was particularly animated about something. There was no way that Sage could have resisted if Edward couldn't.

Before they left, Leah had instructed them to be careful, to keep their heads low and movements discreet--an instruction for Sage not to make the wrong move during her time in La Push. It was a miracle she even agreed to the outing considering her and Sage still weren't on the best page, but Sage wasn't going to take it for granted when she told Seth that he could take her if he so desired.

They walked to La Push. Seth said he wanted to look at the scenery, but Sage thought it was only because neither of them knew how to drive a car. Either way, she didn't mind the extra time with him.

And it had been going well. The weather was overcast as it always is during the spring season, the clouds grey with the weight of rain, but somehow they made it to the small market that Seth needed to find before the downpour cracked through the sky.

It was a quaint little market on the southside of the small town, opposite of where Allison Uley lived, and Seth greeted the shop owner like he grew up with them. And Sage supposed he did; everyone in this small town knew one another. She smiled at the elderly man, receiving a suspicious squint in return.

Seth grabbed her hand and led her towards the bread, letting go and shoving two loaves in her arms while he acquired one for himself.

Sage raised an eyebrow.

"Werewolf metabolism," Seth said simply, laughing. "Gotta keep up the calories."

"Is it hard?" Sage asked. "Having to eat all the time?" She never thought about it, too used to hunting once a week rather than worrying about feeding herself all the time.