𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐬𝐢𝐱𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧

❧

Sage didn't know where they were taking her. Her body strained against Felix's grip, her ligaments cracking and snapping, melding back together before she could hurt herself.

"Stop!" She imagined herself saying the word, imagined screaming for help against the deafness in her ears.

Everything sounded like static. Nothing felt right, her fingers pressing into her back but the feeling gone. Black surrounded her vision, the fog of Alec's gift rendering her powerless against Felix's grip.

Felix carried her swiftly, but the destination was unknown. Sage fought every step of the way before even it became tiresome, her body weaker than his.

"For heaven's sake, stop fighting!" he said when Alec gave her hearing back. It was muffled, almost a whisper of a growl, but Sage stilled in her movements, surprised.

"You've kidnapped me," Sage growled before she could lose her hearing once more. "I will not fight until your grip loosens and I am free."

Jane sighed. "Dramatic much?"

Sage still could not see anything, but she imagined the vampire to be rolling her eyes, hand on her hip even as they sped through wherever they were. She snarled at Jane, pushing her shoulder out in attempts to get Felix to slacken his hold on her.

After that, Alec stole her hearing from her once more. Sage was left to ponder everything. Her body physically ached from the strain Felix was putting on her, but her mind raced a mile a minute.

Where were they taking her? She had not seen them in months and was hoping that she would not see them for the rest of her existence, but here they were, dousing her in pain and harsh memories once more.

Had she done something irksome towards the Volturi? Sage had never known them to go back on their word and for them to say that she was exiled rather than sentenced to death was a relief--but was it false? Had they decided that they would rather her be dead? Was she going to die?

She struggled for days on end until her body was strained to the max. After that, she went lax in Felix's grip, surrendering herself to the darkness of the fog and the bleak numbness that came with it.

When Felix finally dropped her, Sage received her senses back, each one coming back like water being poured over her.

Her feeling was first. Sage felt the cobblestones underneath her fingers. Her jeans were rubbing against her legs, worn and dirty. Her shirt was torn in places, dampened by the days spent speeding through the wide expanse of the ocean. Her fingers were brittle as they felt the ground beneath her.

Sage's stomach fell.

She could hear an echo, one that carried voices throughout the room. Demetri was speaking to someone, and he was addressing them as "Master" and no--that wasn't correct. They had promised. Her life was not intertwined with the Volturi's anymore. They had made certain of that.