𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐞𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭

❧

Weeks, it's been. Sage has been stuck in her cocoon of sorts for weeks, her body growing weaker because of the lack of blood in her system. Her own shadows were molding into something softer than the usual concrete they felt like.

Her cocoon was failing.

To make matters worse, Sage's head still pounded angrily. Never had she experienced a headache when she was a vampire. Now, it was almost every day that the aches scraped away at her membrane.

The wolf didn't leave.

It sat in front of Sage and stared at her like it wasn't quite sure whether it wanted to sink into her impenetrable skin or break the shell surrounding her.

After a moment, the wolf snarled in displeasure in front of her, ramming its head into the shell again. It had left at least five times, Sage was assuming, but never for a long period of time. There were times where she came out of her dreamlike stage to see it coming back in from a thunderstorm; sometimes, she watched it sneak out in the middle of the night, when it believed Sage to not be paying attention to it. Nonetheless, it never failed to come back to her, and she was growing weary of the reason as to why.

Was killing her that important to this creature?

When it growled once more, Sage bit out, "What?" Her nerves were shot, and her skin felt like it was cracking at the seams. Although Sage had no problem remaining still, she wished to get out and smell the fresh air rather than absorbing her own oxygen over and over again. She was going stir crazy, and this blasted wolf was not helping her situation.

More ferociously, it grumbled, and then pressed a paw on her cocoon. There was a crack heard throughout the cave, and Sage stared at the wolf, mystified. Either she had no strength left to keep this charade going, or this wolf was one of the strongest creatures in the world; there was no way that any supernatural creature should have been able to get through her barrier without her permission.

Her own darkening eyes stared at its root-colored ones. It seemed as perplexed as her.

"Do. . . Uh, would you like for me to come out?" she asked, unsure of what else to do. The wolf paused, then nodded. It perched back, staring—waiting. "But. . . why? Are you—do you wish to kill me?"

Another growl had Sage holding up her hands in surrender. The black wolf was now standing once more, on the defense. Sage sighed out, letting her shield weaken bit by bit, caution persuading her not to be hasty about it.

"I will say," she replied, "that growl does not help me in any way whatsoever, wolf. I still am unsure as to if you have good or bad intentions. Your actions have been blurry, and I am unable to tell if you are an enemy or friend."

The wolf huffed in indignation, and this time Sage caught it. So, apparently it didn't want to kill her this time. She couldn't help but feel a bit miffed. Not too long ago these creatures had tried killing her for walking on their territory. She could not be blamed for thinking the worst in this situation.